[SOLVED] Best time to upgrade? Need new CPU and etc.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Currently have a rig with sub-par AMD FX-8320 CPU and only 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.
Everything else is good. MSI ARMOR GTX 1080 8GB (OC edition), RM 650x PSU, SSD drive. So you can see I got a pretty huge bottleneck for my GPU.
Basically I need a new CPU (Intel is still king?), will need a new motherboard (not doing any overclocking) as well and new RAMs (DDR4 I believe). Willing to spend around 1000 euros or less.
What would be the best options and best time to buy those components looking at the current state of the market and possible price changes in the future?

Last edited:
Solution
Generally speaking, the best time to make a purchase is when you need an upgrade and you have the money for the upgrade you need. Time is a component in cost, remember; imagine a scenario in which you could save $50 on the CPU/motherboard/RAM by waiting six months. You'd save $50 there, but you'd lose out by not using your 1080's advantage over a 1060 for six months, negating some of the reason you paid a premium over a 1060.

Honestly, with a thousand Euros for your new build and only needing CPU/MB/RAM, the world is your oyster. The only question is if you get a 9700k/9900k now or wait a little bit (we're close to a release) and check out the Ryzen 3000 reviews. The prices of top-end stuff don't really fluctuate all that much, short...
Now is a bad time to buy a cpu. Ryzen 3000 is due in the next 3 months and it looks very promising and suggestions are it will close the IPC gap to Intel. Now normally I am one to say buy when you need to but with potentially a big shake up on the horizon it seems waiting is the best thing.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Reactions: hellzer

DSzymborski

Titan
Generally speaking, the best time to make a purchase is when you need an upgrade and you have the money for the upgrade you need. Time is a component in cost, remember; imagine a scenario in which you could save $50 on the CPU/motherboard/RAM by waiting six months. You'd save $50 there, but you'd lose out by not using your 1080's advantage over a 1060 for six months, negating some of the reason you paid a premium over a 1060.

Honestly, with a thousand Euros for your new build and only needing CPU/MB/RAM, the world is your oyster. The only question is if you get a 9700k/9900k now or wait a little bit (we're close to a release) and check out the Ryzen 3000 reviews. The prices of top-end stuff don't really fluctuate all that much, short of some unknown event that it would be hard to know in advance (like the flooding in Malaysia for hard drives or the cryptoblip that made the GPU market a tire fire for six months).

Solution
If you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Many are atwitter about the upcoming 3000 series ryzen, but nobody really knows what that will entail. Price/performance/availability...
AMD will charge what the traffic will bear, they are not about to give product away for anything less.

Today, $250 will buy you a cpu/mobo and ram that beats your FX machine handily.
Your $1000 budget is massive.
For gaming,
Look for a i5-9600K or i7-9700K.
Use a z390 based motherboard.
A 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit(speed is not important)
Decent air cooler
and... you will have funds left over for a nvme ssd for windows.

For multithreaded batch apps, look to ryzen which offers many threads for a good price.

If you are wondering how many threads you are currently using effectively, try this experiment:

Remove one or more cores/threads and run YOUR games. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Alright so Zen 2 CPU's are out is this a good setup?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz 32MB AM4
263,97 €

Gigabyte X570 UD
165,82 €

As for RAM? Need some help here. I need about 16GB of total memory. But I am not sure what CL and MHz I should pick. The sweet spot for this CPU said to be 3200 Mhz. Is CL important? And if I get 1x16 or 2x8 RAM modules?

... and all those paired up with my current GTX 1080. Looks good?

p.s. Those are the part prices in Lithuania. I understand ordering from outside would be cheaper but also riskier and more time consuming.

Today, any latest gen intel or ryzen processor over $200 will be a good gamer and a massive jump over your FX-8350.
For a balanced gamer, budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

The 3600X is a fine processor, particularly for multithreaded batch operations.
The X suffix processors are better binned and you should be able to reach the advertised 4.3 turbo speeds.
There is usually little room for overclocking ryzen, so do not count on that.
That is sufficient for most games.
If you primarily play multiplayer games, the 12 threads will be very good.
Otherwise 6 threads is about all you can use effectively.
For games that are cpu centric like sims, strategy or mmo, the single thread boost speeds are more important.
If you play fast action shooters, look to a strong graphics card.

On ram, once you have selected your motherboard, and I am always in favor of getting the latest chipset, look at the motherboard ram QVL support list.
Pick a ram kit that is explicitly supported. Ryzen can be picky about ram.
For certain, buy a 2 x 8gb kit so you can run in faster dual channel mode.
Ryzen responds to fast ram. 3200-3600 seems about right.

FWIW, if you need fast single core speeds, intel K suffix processor the way to go.
You can likely get to 5.0 on all cores with a 6 core 9600K or a 8 core 9700K.
9900K is not really worth it for a gamer.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz 32MB AM4

Those are the parts I've chosen so far.

current GPU: GTX 1080

are these RAM a good choice?
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4

I still haven't figured out how they sell these "KITS of 2". The price shown seems to be of 1 module and they let you choose 1 unit on purchase but title says it's a KIT of 2... Confusing.

EDIT: checked the support list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-UD-rev-10/support#support-doc
Doesn't seem like they support any modules I was looking at... Barely any support for 3200 Mhz modules, only if they're 4 GB... I don't get it.

Oh man I put my nose where it doesn't belong... Summit ridge, Raven ridge, Matisse CPU lists... Holy Molly. I have no clue what they support and don't. I thought only the socket type was important.
Also this Gigabyte X570 UD motherboard is quite expensive. Maybe I should go with Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE instead (save ~70 eur)?

Last edited:
A kit of two sticks will be sold as a single part number.
That is important since ram must be matched to insure proper operation.
Your link does show a kit of two.
So that is good.
But, for whatever reason. it does not show up on the support list for your motherboard.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-ud.pdf

I do not see any gigabyte X570 motherboards yet listed on the corsair ram selection app.
Perhaps it is too soon.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/memoryfinder?type=motherboard

I think your selected ram should work, but to be absolutely certain, pick a ram kit from the QVL list.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah I understand they will be sold as single part number but what I was asking if I should order 1 unit or 2 units to get that kit of 2? Because if I press order and select only 1 unit that means I am not getting a kit, right?

Those RAMs I linked are 16GB each I believe. So a kit would cost me 200 euros for a total of 32 GB, right? I think 2x8 would be better. I can't find any info on the QVL list about support of 2x16. Everything listed is either 1Rx8 or 2Rx8.

Also this motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE
Could you check the QVL? And from this link pick the best RAM?
https://www.1a.lt/c/kompiuteriu-kom...-ram/2v7?f=fZb&rf=6_f3200_3200&view_mode=grid

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
https://www.1a.lt/p/corsair-vengean...t-of-2-cmk16gx4m2z3200c16/1ek?cat=2v7&index=2

So this isn't 16 each? It doesn't say anywhere anything about 8 GB. Instead 16GB on the title must mean the total amount of RAM the kit has rather than how much memory a single module has?

When they sell kits they only mention the total amount of RAM and so ordering 1 unit will automatically get you the kit of 2 modules?

EDIT: Also there are these RAMs https://www.1a.lt/p/kingston-16gb-3...kit-of-2-hx432c16pb3k2-16/2oa?cat=2v7&index=3

The only difference is the voltage and the manufacturer.
Corsair 1.35V, Kingston 1.2V.
Should I prefer one over the other?

I checked the QVL list for this Kingston RAM as well and apparently while the serial number is there (HX432C16PB3K2/16) ...the voltage numbers don't match. What does that mean exactly?

Also on the website where I am looking at these RAMs most of the modules are listed as CL16 but in the QVL list they have several different names. "16-18-18-36", "CL16" and "16-18-18-38".
Are they all CL16 and I shouldn't bother with few mismatching numbers?

Sorry for these dumb questions. Haven't done this in a long time.

So far what I have picked:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz 32MB AM4 BOX 100-100000022BOX
Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 KIT OF 2 CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16
^All good?

Last edited: