BEST TO HAVE SAME MONITORS IN DUAL SETUP??

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hello fellow cyber nerds,
I have a problemo which requires your knowledgable self...

1. When using dual monitors, is it 'better' to have the same monitor, or is it ok to have 2 different monitors with different resolutions?

2. What do you think of this monitor? Reviews appear to be thin on the ground (save for on the site itself)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-030-BQ

My Specs:
Q6600@3.4GHz
2 X 4770's CF
Samsung 2232BW (current monitor)

Thanks for your replies Gentlemen..
AC

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Alctually I have some more questions...

3. I'mright in thinking that I could have one monitor for gaming and one for my desktop running at the same time..yes?

4. Would I take a performance hit with my setup if the answer to question 3 is indeed a yay?

There...you have enough to chew on for mo. Cheers for your help brainiacs.
AC

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I used to have a LCD 22'' @1650x1080 and a CRT 20'' @12??x1024, and I played in the LCD one while browsing info (maps, walkthroughs, etc) on the CTR one.

I think it's call dual view, so each screen is independent and it allows you to have 2 full screen applications at the same time.

I wouldn't run 2 games at the same time (whats the purpose anyways?!) because in that case you will see cards overloaded, (assuming they are 3D demanding games).

with your setup you won't have any problems with 2 monitors, atm I'm using a core2 duo and 4 lcd monitors @1680x1050 (@ work now not for gaming), and this is running just fine

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Aha! The early indications are favourable :D Thanks Jassao.
So do you need a program to make it work or is it possible through windows??
Thanks
AC

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Thanks ct1615.

OK. So it's certainly possible and I shouldn't take a performance hit. Any ideas on the rest of my questions gentlemen?

Many thanks in advance of your enlightening replies.
AC

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
2- That is a fine monitor

3/4- Yes, you can set it up to have the desktop and the game at the same time. There wil be a very marginal performance hit if you are runnign apps on the otehr screen while gaming. Some games don't like windowed mode and won't allow you to interact with the desktop while they are open. Additionally, the primary display will always have the start menue, and also default to the gaming display, though you can change it. How well it works is very much a game by game basis. For example, WOW and Fallout3 work very well while I watch a movie or surf the net on the other monitor, where as crysis does not.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Thanks very much Daedalus.

My upgrade options were either a single SSD (can't afford 2) or another monitor and I think I'm going to go for the monitor, unless someone knows of 2 decent SSD's for a total of £150-160 bracket, in which case I'm all ears!

Thanks again for your help folks.
AC :D

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

Thanks for your reply Shadow. I'm assuming that calibration will be automatic if I use catalyst? I'm not a heavy multi-tasker I just would like to increase my native resolution on my gaming monitor and thought I might as well run my existing monitor alongside for a healthy dose of cool-ness (I am shallow, I have learnt to accept this :D )

In truth, I would rather have 2 fast SSD's in raid 0 but I can't afford 2 so have opted for dual monitors instead.

Thanks for your input.
AC

Believe me, dual LCDs are very addictive. Once you start using them single LCDs are history.

As for the calibration, I preffer to do it manually, the LCD/settings will be adjusted to the manufacture defaults. For most, that's OK, but it's not the best. Spend 20-25 minutes calibrating and you'll see a difference.