Question Best tools for older techie?

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys, not sure if this topic belongs in this forum so please move to whichever forum should be appropriate for it with my apologies?

I have 2 major physical issues and should not be doing hardware work like this. I have severe Psoriatic Arthritis with swollen finger knuckles which restricts my grip and range of motion. I would like to get a smaller lighter screwdriver preferably cordless which can work with small laptop screws, something like what this guy is using on this video, any referrals please?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxwed6Selfg

Next at 60 now, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I need to get a magnifier and light to help this situation, I am thinking a magnifying light should help this, I am seeing many on google. From a Techie standpoint, is there one any of you guys here use and if yes and it works great for you, can you link me please?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I know the feeling 😕 I just hit the age where I need Bifocals and Stage 1 RA in both hands.

I use this at home for my soldering station.

wall mounted magnifying glass with light

It's a cheapie at under $40, if you are gentle with the adjustments the springs should last a few years and the dimmable light helps with glare.

As far as power screwdrivers you will find the gyroscopic palm units are the easiest to use when you lack mobility. Gyroscopic units go forward/Reverse by turning your wrist.

Examples
Black & Decker 4-Volt MAX Gyro Screwdriver
DeWalt DCF680N2 8-Volt Max

I own the BD 4 volt unit and it's been fine for disassembly of TVs and Laptops for about 4 years, but the battery life isn't all that great now. You'll probably get a better battery if you pay for a better brand.

Reactions: mikehende

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Sorry to hear you have similar issues but thank you very much for the recommendations which I will get.

Only issue now is magnetic tips for tiny laptop screws, any recommendations for this please?

I too, have the age/dexterity/vision issues.
A while ago, my dentist gave me his old led head lamp.
You might be able to buy one similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Aquari...t=&hvlocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-871320050800

The best ever pc tool is a magnetic tip screwdriver.
A long #2 phillips head screwdriver Is invaluable.
It can pick up dropped parts in a case and install motherboard standoffs.
Laptops will need to be #0 or #1.

If you buy the motorized tool mentioned above, you should be able to buy magnetic tip inserts.
There might even be some longer inserts.
A kit like this might do it all:
https://www.amazon.com/XOOL-Precisi...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-349841089658&psc=1

Another tool you might find useful is a set of medical hemostats like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hem...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-643915480747&psc=1
I find them handy to place wiring and front panel connectors in place.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Sorry to hear you have similar issues but thank you very much for the recommendations which I will get.

Only issue now is magnetic tips for tiny laptop screws, any recommendations for this please?

Any non-stainless tip can be made magnetic with a mag tool, some sets give you one.

Wiha 40010 | Magnetizer Demagnetizer

As far as tips, you can find a $10 Precision set at Wal-Mart or look for a more expensive set as you need. As far as what is best 🤷‍♂️ I have something like 30 sets I've either bought or been given over the years.

Examples

SHARDEN Precision Screwdrivers Sets $17

ORIA Precision Screwdriver Kit $15

JAKEMY Multi-bits Screwdriver Set
$27

I would also add a good hair dryer and some plastic playing cards ;) When your removing bezels or glued-on screens the playing cards are easier to handle than the smaller spudgers or guitar picks plus they are cheap and plentiful. When working on older HP and Dell Laptops you might find yourself needing longer bits, save those bits for only those because for some odd reason they tend to wear and strip faster than shorter versions.

TRENDING THREADS