Best tools to stress test a new Ryzen system

Apr 12, 2018
I'm building up a Ryzen 2700x system, and it's my first time dipping my toe in the Ryzen pool. What tools would people recommend for stress testing and stability checking? It's been a couple of years since I've built up a system, and that was only with Intel. My typical testing was prime95 v26.6, furmark and memtest86+.

Thanks for any help

Solution
You got it. Memtest86+, Prime95 version 26.6 and Realbench. You can also use the Heaven benchmark. Furmark is ok, but probably isn't the preferred GPU stress test anymore.

Use HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, Openhardware monitor or Speccy), Core Temp or Ryzen master for monitoring.

Testing procedures are towards the bottom here and are the same whether overclocking or not:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3761568/beginners-guide-overclocking-cpu-explicit-testing-guidelines.html

And some guidelines on memory configurations, which you probably don't need as you seem to have a good idea already about what you are doing.

*Resolving memory problems and setting up XMP/DOCP/AMP profiles
You got it. Memtest86+, Prime95 version 26.6 and Realbench. You can also use the Heaven benchmark. Furmark is ok, but probably isn't the preferred GPU stress test anymore.

Use HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, Openhardware monitor or Speccy), Core Temp or Ryzen master for monitoring.

Testing procedures are towards the bottom here and are the same whether overclocking or not:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3761568/beginners-guide-overclocking-cpu-explicit-testing-guidelines.html

And some guidelines on memory configurations, which you probably don't need as you seem to have a good idea already about what you are doing.

*Resolving memory problems and setting up XMP/DOCP/AMP profiles

Solution
Apr 12, 2018

Thanks so much Darkbreeze. This is my first crack at Ryzen so I'm trying to cover all my bases. RAM is the one area I've been concerned with in this build so I'll check out that link for sure.

With regards to Prime95, does the Ryzen platform suffer from the same AVX issues that keep Intel locked in to v26.6?

Pretty sure it affects all CPUs that way. Regardless, it's really not JUST that that is the issue. Most stress utilities, including those using AVX instructions, do not apply a STEADY STATE workload, which, for thermal testing is what you want and need. Prime should only be used for CPU thermal testing, when it comes to CPUs.

Use Realbench for stability testing if overclocking or otherwise concerned. I recommend running Realbench stress test for 4 hours to check stability of non-overclocked systems and 8 hours if you are overclocking at all.

Also, in many cases you CAN use use newer versions of Prime but you will need to edit the local.txt file that gets created the first time you start Prime, to tell it not to run AVX instructions.

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=21462

Anytime. And just to clarify, Prime is not JUST for that, it's also a pretty good stress test for memory as well if you run a custom configuration variation of blend mode, or even just regular blend mode. But I wouldn't use it as a metric for judging stability without also running Realbench.

Good luck man.