Best Tuner card for capturing uncompressed AVI?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Please recommend a TV Tuner card that I can capture uncompressed video from
VHS, I'll also be subscribing to Dish in a few weeks so maybe I'll want to
record from that too.

I don't want a canopus device as they're too expensive and the cheaper ones
only capture to DV-AVI. I want to capture mainly uncompressed using huffyuv,
so there's no need, at least not at this time, for an mpeg hardware encoder.
I'll use software I already have for the encoding.

Thank you in advance
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> only capture to DV-AVI. I want to capture mainly uncompressed using
huffyuv,
> so there's no need, at least not at this time, for an mpeg hardware
encoder.

ATI All In Wonder series cards will do what you want but there's no
"best" anything, it just depends on your needs vs. what you can afford.
You can get a used 8500 AIW for around $50-75 USD on fleabay or spend a
bit over a hundred for a new one. Rock solid, stable capture s/w comes
with it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Alx <alxcert0@web2v.com> wrote:
: Please recommend a TV Tuner card that I can capture uncompressed video from
: VHS, I'll also be subscribing to Dish in a few weeks so maybe I'll want to
: record from that too.

: I don't want a canopus device as they're too expensive and the cheaper ones
: only capture to DV-AVI. I want to capture mainly uncompressed using huffyuv,
: so there's no need, at least not at this time, for an mpeg hardware encoder.
: I'll use software I already have for the encoding.

FlyVideo 3000FM with the program called Fly2000 gives excellent quality. When
you're shopping for a TV Tuner card, make sure the card is a Philips based.

--Leonid
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
news:c8mgm1$c66$2@news3.bu.edu...
> Alx <alxcert0@web2v.com> wrote:
> : Please recommend a TV Tuner card that I can capture uncompressed video
from
> : VHS, I'll also be subscribing to Dish in a few weeks so maybe I'll want
to
> : record from that too.
>
> : I don't want a canopus device as they're too expensive and the cheaper
ones
> : only capture to DV-AVI. I want to capture mainly uncompressed using
huffyuv,
> : so there's no need, at least not at this time, for an mpeg hardware
encoder.
> : I'll use software I already have for the encoding.
>
> FlyVideo 3000FM with the program called Fly2000 gives excellent quality.
When
> you're shopping for a TV Tuner card, make sure the card is a Philips
based.
>
> --Leonid
>
>

Well, I purchased a FlyVideo 3000FM, installed it along with the included
software (Is Fly2000 freeware?), and it seemed to capture the AVI ok except
I'm having really bad audio sync problems.

So I tried capturing with VirtualDub1.5.10. I believe I followed all
instructions and configured it to capture using Huffyuv. I see the video I'm
attempting to record in the preview/ready to capture mode, but all I keep
getting is the error message "warning: no frames captured". I turned off
overlay, reducing image size and depth like it suggested, but still nothing
is captured. What am I doing wrong?

Also, can I capture with Adobe Premiere Pro instead? I don't see the card
listed, Premiere doesn't seem to be recognizing it. Is there a driver I'm
supposed to download for FlyVideo to work with Premiere Pro?

Thank you very much for any help.

XP Pro with all updates
P4 3ghz
512 DDRAM
20GB HD
80GB S-ATA (dedicated video hd)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Alx <alxcert0@web2v.com> wrote:
: Well, I purchased a FlyVideo 3000FM, installed it along with the included
: software (Is Fly2000 freeware?), and it seemed to capture the AVI ok except
: I'm having really bad audio sync problems.

Did you try Fly2000 or their software? I haven't even tried their software.
You should try Fly2000 from auzol.narod.ru. One thing is that I don't think
NTSC TV Tuner is working. The author said he was going to take a look, but
I don't knwo whether he fixed it or not. The software is 30 days trial period.
Then it's not free. It's about $30, but I think I can get you a discount.

: So I tried capturing with VirtualDub1.5.10. I believe I followed all
: instructions and configured it to capture using Huffyuv. I see the video I'm
: attempting to record in the preview/ready to capture mode, but all I keep
: getting is the error message "warning: no frames captured". I turned off
: overlay, reducing image size and depth like it suggested, but still nothing
: is captured. What am I doing wrong?

Yes, 'cause VirtualDub is VFW based and the drivers are WDM based.

If you want to try VirtualVCR, it should work. However, I strongly recommend to
try Fly2000. It's the best suitable program for this card. It configure to
bypass some of the driver layers so that it talks to hardware directly.

--Leonid

PS. If you want to purchase the program later, I can try to get you a discount.
Just e-mail me to leonid underscore makarovsky at yahoo dot com.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
news:c9co11$a5k$1@news3.bu.edu...
> Alx <alxcert0@web2v.com> wrote:
><
> : Also, can you can you give me your basic set up in Fly2000? I want to
make
> : sure everything is correct.
>
> Try to install version 2.36 rather than 2.38. 2.38 is beta.

Version 2.36 is the one I have installed.

> Also if you could, try to install Philips native drivers.

I installed new drivers I got from the LifeView website after uninstalling
the FlyVideo software.
Where do I get Philips native drivers?

> In settings:
>
> Hardware:
> Uncheck "Use generic WDM drivers"

I've tried several times to uncheck this, but after restarting it's back to
being checked.

>
> The rest should be automatic. Let's get composite and S-video to work
first.
> Settings:
> In Video:
> Choose Video Renderer. Check Overlay Mixer.
> Format stream YUY2.

> Vertical sync Recovery mode: Fast tracking

This is greyed out for me.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Alx <alxcert0@web2v.com> wrote:
: Version 2.36 is the one I have installed.

:> Also if you could, try to install Philips native drivers.

: I installed new drivers I got from the LifeView website after uninstalling
: the FlyVideo software.
: Where do I get Philips native drivers?


From the same site auzol.narod.ru. Make sure they get installed. Check that
Philips drivers are installed and not lifeview's ones get re-installed.

:> Uncheck "Use generic WDM drivers"

: I've tried several times to uncheck this, but after restarting it's back to
: being checked.

Uncheck WDM and choose Philips chip. Restart the program. If you can't select
it, smth is not right.

:> Vertical sync Recovery mode: Fast tracking

: This is greyed out for me.

Because you're using WDM. And you should use native mode.

--Leonid