Best upgrade for a Dell precision 390 workstation under 150$.

JEddieWright1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hello everyone, I recently decided to upgrade my Dell precision 390. I took my ram to 8GB and upgraded to Windows 7. I was told the next best upgrade is a graphics card. My budget is 150$ of anyone can help.

Solution

I have the same Precision 390 with the QX6700 cpu with the Win7 Ultimate 64-bit os.
And I've just installed 8gb of Corsair XMS2 ddr2 ram. You can use the heatsinks as a comb if need be ;)
But my first upgrade was the video card: EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC with 2 gb ram on it.
I'm very happy with the card's performance, it's very affordable, and it's not a full-length card either.
But I am using an aftermarket 500 W p/s.
Dell did make a 500W p/s that should pop right in with no modifications necessary.
And you can also get a RAM...

kaputnik

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

I have the same Precision 390 with the QX6700 cpu with the Win7 Ultimate 64-bit os.
And I've just installed 8gb of Corsair XMS2 ddr2 ram. You can use the heatsinks as a comb if need be ;)
But my first upgrade was the video card: EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC with 2 gb ram on it.
I'm very happy with the card's performance, it's very affordable, and it's not a full-length card either.
But I am using an aftermarket 500 W p/s.
Dell did make a 500W p/s that should pop right in with no modifications necessary.
And you can also get a RAM cooling shroud/fan that mounts to the side of the p/s. There's already a connector for it on the motherboard.

Cheers!

Solution