Question Best upgrade for CPU: e5-1607 v3

xxx4reggie

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Hello,
I have a Dell Precision 5810 Tower that I got for a really good deal (almost free).
Some specs that I know of in it are: 64GB RAM, couple SSDs (500GB), GTX1070, E5-1607 v3 CPU @3.10ghz
I mainly play Division 2, Overwatch, Heroes of the storm (when bored) and Diablo 3

I want to upgrade the CPU as I believe that could be the bottleneck of the PC for me. What is the best gaming oriented CPU I can go with for this PC? I don't know the MOBO details yet, but it's stock Dell stuff.
My budget is limited to 300 max (and that's kinda pushing it). I don't need to OC since the mobo is stock and the case isn't really going to help with airflow. And I will be passing this PC to my kiddo once I am ready to actually build a good gaming rig (which I will OC).

Any recommendations guys?
Let me know if I need to provide any more details.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Xeon E5 1607v3 is lga2011-3. That opens up a very large selection of high end cpus, but for gaming purposes will need decent cooling.

The one issue that needs to be addressed is ram. IF the ram is ECC registered, standard lga2011-3 cpus can have an issue as they don't support that particular type of ram, only the Xeons do. If it's standard DDR3 ram, you are good for any cpu, I'd suggest the i7-5820k.

xxx4reggie

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
TY for the replies.
  1. I'll check out that link and see what others are using, didn't know we had that.
  2. OK I'll go home and open up the rig to see what RAM it has. I'm hoping I'm not locked to ECC because Xeon CPUs are pretty pricey :(.

I'll post something up after checking.

I think you found a winner.

I could not find an official list of processors supported by your motherboard.
CPU-Z will identify your motherboard and could be used as a search argument for compatible processor upgrades.

I found this post:
It suggests to me that a E5-1650v3 is supported and would be a very good upgrade.
It goes for $150 used on ebay.

As an approximation of capability, your E5-1650v3 has 4 cores and a passmark rating of 6961. The single thread rating is 1768 The single thread rating is usually most important for games.
The number of threads becomes important if your games are multiplayer with many participants.

The rating of the 6c/12t E5-1650v3 is 12635/ 2142, a nice upgrade in all respects.

xxx4reggie

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I think you found a winner.

I could not find an official list of processors supported by your motherboard.
CPU-Z will identify your motherboard and could be used as a search argument for compatible processor upgrades.

I found this post:
It suggests to me that a E5-1650v3 is supported and would be a very good upgrade.
It goes for $150 used on ebay.

As an approximation of capability, your E5-1650v3 has 4 cores and a passmark rating of 6961. The single thread rating is 1768 The single thread rating is usually most important for games.
The number of threads becomes important if your games are multiplayer with many participants.

The rating of the 6c/12t E5-1650v3 is 12635/ 2142, a nice upgrade in all respects.

TY!
That's not a bad price at all. It seems like that is the best bang so thank you for doing the research for me too. I really appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone for helping out on my question. You guys are awesome!
Can't wait to get this upgraded and get back to Division 2 :)

InvalidError

Titan
The one issue that needs to be addressed is ram. IF the ram is ECC registered, standard lga2011-3 cpus can have an issue as they don't support that particular type of ram
ECC RAM works exactly the same way as regular RAM, only major difference is that ECC DIMMs have 72 data bits instead of only 64 and the extra bits simply get ignored by non-ECC CPUs. Having those extra chips on the command/address bus slightly increases bus loading which shouldn't be an issue at the lower clocks server memory typically runs at.

Also, LGA2xxx HEDT CPUs are nothing more than 1S Xeons with different bits disabled/locked, so there is no reason for the HEDT counterpart to magically have issues with memory its Xeon counterpart is completely fine with at the same speed and timings.

Reactions: xxx4reggie
The E5-1650 v3 has a TDP of 140w. That is the same for your current processor.
I think, however, that a stronger processor is going to get hotter under load.

What is your current cpu cooler?
It will probably work well enough.
Perhaps the fan will spin up higher under load.

I would never use an AIO cooler when a simple air tower will do the job.

xxx4reggie

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
The E5-1650 v3 has a TDP of 140w. That is the same for your current processor.
I think, however, that a stronger processor is going to get hotter under load.

What is your current cpu cooler?
It will probably work well enough.
Perhaps the fan will spin up higher under load.

I would never use an AIO cooler when a simple air tower will do the job.
I'm currently on the stock cooler/fan and it honestly does the job but just wanted to see if I should do something else :)

If the stock cooler is cooling well enough, there is no need to change.
The stock cooler 92mm fan can spin up and get noisy under load.
The main reason to change it out would be to use a quieter 120mm fan.
Your case needs to have sufficient room for the typical 160mm tower cooler.

Reactions: xxx4reggie