Question Best upgrade for price

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Hi guys,
Currently, I have a rig with a 2400g with a rx570 8gb and I can sell it(the cpu) for about 125. From there what would be my best choice between these for someone who plays mostly fortnite (for brother):
Ryzen 5 1600(pretty sure not this but i'd have some money for a cooler)-80 usd
Ryzen 5 2600x-170 usd(comes with a game I could sell for 30)
Ryzen 7 1700-135 usd(Im leaning towards this due to the value but I cant figure out how this would do for his games)also could get a cooler but I hear that the stock one is pretty good.

I can overclock but on the pricer CPUs I cant really budget in a cooler.

What option here would give him the best bang for buck.

Thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
Fortnite isn't a demanding title and the 2400G should be more then enough, especially once overclocked. If it were me I'd overclock the 2400G as far as it will safely go then save up for the 3rg Gen Ryzen's releasing in a couple of months which should provide a much better gaming experience due to the considerably higher boost speeds.

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Fortnite isn't a demanding title and the 2400G should be more then enough, especially once overclocked. If it were me I'd overclock the 2400G as far as it will safely go then save up for the 3rg Gen Ryzen's releasing in a couple of months which should provide a much better gaming experience due to the considerably higher boost speeds.
I tried OC'ing but there isn't much headroom without opting for a cooler which could be an option but I figured he'd get better results with just a fresh slate.

WildCard999

Titan
I tried OC'ing but there isn't much headroom without opting for a cooler which could be an option but I figured he'd get better results with just a fresh slate.
Most of those will get to around 3.8-4ghz on the stock cooler although with my 2600 the cooler worked great but was really loud, replaced with CM EVO Black RGB and now nearly silent. Another thing to consider with a aftermarket cooler is that it will work with the 3rd Gen Ryzen lineup as well. I think it would be a better idea (then replacing the CPU now) to get the aftermarket, OC & wait on 3rd Gen.

17pY95C.png

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-everything-we-know,38233.html

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Most of those will get to around 3.8-4ghz on the stock cooler although with my 2600 the cooler worked great but was really loud, replaced with CM EVO Black RGB and now nearly silent. Another thing to consider with a aftermarket cooler is that it will work with the 3rd Gen Ryzen lineup as well. I think it would be a better idea (then replacing the CPU now) to get the aftermarket, OC & wait on 3rd Gen.

17pY95C.png

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-everything-we-know,38233.html
Thanks for that chart, didn't know they released that. How much do you think I could sell my 2400g when those are released? Trying to not lose that much on the 2400g.

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks for that chart, didn't know they released that. How much do you think I could sell my 2400g when those are released? Trying to not lose that much on the 2400g.
Probably not much, maybe $50. This new series is really going to drop the pricing of current Ryzen's as long as the performance has improved quite a bit. While I'm not sold on which one I want when I do upgrade I'm selling my friend my Ryzen 2600 for $60 so he can finally upgrade his system from a X4 965 lol.

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Probably not much, maybe $50. This new series is really going to drop the pricing of current Ryzen's as long as the performance has improved quite a bit. While I'm not sold on which one I want when I do upgrade I'm selling my friend my Ryzen 2600 for $60 so he can finally upgrade his system from a X4 965 lol.
Lucky guy lol. Thanks for the input!

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Hi,
Sorry for restarting this thread,

I got a CM EVO Black RGB and at 3950mhz the load temps are 73c. Is that a decent temp considering the APU is really being utilized right?

Thank you!

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
That's fine and expected with both CPU & iGPU being utilized. As long as your temp stays under 80C and the voltage stays under 1.45V then your fine.
Thanks for getting back with me. I mistyped, the iGPU isn't really getting used though right cause I have an RX 570? Either way, I know the temps are fine, they just seemed a touch high with an aftermarket cooler. I haven't even touched the voltage surprisingly.

17pY95C.png

I hadn't seen that table either, but it says it's a leak and han't been confirmed. Interesting though!

TRENDING THREADS