Question Best upgrade from i5 8400 on h370 Board

Nov 16, 2021
I'm looking to upgrade from an i5 8400 that is in my pre-built
reason I'm wanting to upgrade:
Far Cry 6 starts to stutter when my CPU hits 100% utilization( it's infrequent but it's annoying when it happens) Fortnite hiccups stutters every now and then (although lowering Graphics settings might be better in that case)

so far I have my eyes on the i9 9900 (non-K) and i7 9700f
my Specs:
CPU: i5 8400 (came with prebuilt)
Ram: 16gb ram (2x8gb) 2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
MB Chipset: h370 motherboard
Monitor: 27" LG 27GN750 1080p IPS with 240Hz refresh rate
PSU: 400w 80 plus Platnum ( it does the job)
I will most likely change out my stock cooler that came with my computer to something better when I change CPUs

List of games I play on PC:
Far Cry 6
Far Cry 5
Far Cry: New Dawn
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fortnite
Paladins( I know, not demanding at all lol)
Kena: Bridge of Sprites
Metro Exodus
Apex Legends
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Cyberpunk 2077
Crysis 2(standard)
Crysis 3 (standard)
Teardown
Just Cause 4
CSGO
The Outer Worlds
The Medium( Tested this out when it first came out, game is very CPU heavy)
Crysis 2007( this bastard of a game still makes modern rigs cry to this day lol)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017)
The Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt
GTA IV
GTA V
Doom (don't know why I'm putting this on here as a potato can run this game LOL)
Rainbow Six Siege
Immortals: Fenyx Rising
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Mad Max
Fallout 4

I got a lot more games than this but these are what I could think of at the moment

I'm looking to upgrade from an i5 8400 that is in my pre-built
reason I'm wanting to upgrade:
Far Cry 6 starts to stutter when my CPU hits 100% utilization( it's infrequent but it's annoying when it happens) Fortnite hiccups stutters every now and then (although lowering Graphics settings might be better in that case)

so far I have my eyes on the i9 9900 (non-K) and i7 9700f
my Specs:
CPU: i5 8400 (came with prebuilt)
Ram: 16gb ram (2x8gb) 2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
MB Chipset: h370 motherboard
Monitor: 27" LG 27GN750 1080p IPS with 240Hz refresh rate
PSU: 400w 80 plus Platnum ( it does the job)
I will most likely change out my stock cooler that came with my computer to something better when I change CPUs

List of games I play on PC:
Far Cry 6
Far Cry 5
Far Cry: New Dawn
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fortnite
Paladins( I know, not demanding at all lol)
Kena: Bridge of Sprites
Metro Exodus
Apex Legends
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Cyberpunk 2077
Crysis 2(standard)
Crysis 3 (standard)
Teardown
Just Cause 4
CSGO
The Outer Worlds
The Medium( Tested this out when it first came out, game is very CPU heavy)
Crysis 2007( this bastard of a game still makes modern rigs cry to this day lol)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017)
The Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt
GTA IV
GTA V
Doom (don't know why I'm putting this on here as a potato can run this game LOL)
Rainbow Six Siege
Immortals: Fenyx Rising
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Mad Max
Fallout 4

I got a lot more games than this but these are what I could think of at the moment
Before you start replacing parts spend a little time getting the proper bios and drivers.

Then work at stopping unneeded background stuff.

You might get enough of a bump that spending bucks is not needed.

Nov 16, 2021
Before you start replacing parts spend a little time getting the proper bios and drivers.

Then work at stopping unneeded background stuff.

You might get enough of a bump that spending bucks is not needed.
all my stuff is up to date
FC6 recently updated and doesn't seem to get as much stutter as it use to
I do know that I'll eventually have to upgrade at some point.
I will say that it's only a few games that starts with the random BS (game engine most likely)

Nov 16, 2021
Since this is a prebuilt, does the product support page for the prebuilt even list a 9th gen compatible bios update, or have you already updated to one? If not, then neither of these cpus are viable.
I have checked my Pre-built specs, it does support i7 9700f, the only reason I asked about the i9 9900(non-K) is because it is also a coffee lake and 65w chip
I'll do some more research on that

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have checked my Pre-built specs, it does support i7 9700f, the only reason I asked about the i9 9900(non-K) is because it is also a coffee lake and 65w chip
I'll do some more research on that
Yes, double check to be sure, but even if it is, the i9 probably isn't viable in that board.

The i9-9900 is not a 65w chip - scratch that - it is a 65w chip when Turbo Boost is disabled... and who the heck disables Turbo Boost, because that's where the bulk of the performance is...
Under the right loads, that's a 200-ish watt cpu.

Nov 16, 2021
Yes, double check to be sure, but even if it is, the i9 probably isn't viable in that board.

The i9-9900 is not a 65w chip - scratch that - it is a 65w chip when Turbo Boost is disabled... and who the heck disables Turbo Boost, because that's where the bulk of the performance is...
Under the right loads, that's a 200-ish watt cpu.
Intel i9 9900 non-K power consumption test. Watch this before buying i9 10900 non-K - YouTube
From what I saw, it goes up to 181 watts
I might check with TechNitWit on this one, he basically has the same prebuilt, only difference is that his came with an i5 9400f

Nov 16, 2021
Well, I checked with TechNitWit, the i9 9900 non-k is not compatible with my HP pre-built so looks like I'll be looking into the i7 9700f
I'm still going to stick with my i5 8400 for now but looks like that solves what I can upgrade to.