[SOLVED] Best Upgrade Options for Nvidia Geforce GT 710

Oct 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for the best options to upgrade the Nvidia Geforce GT 710 in order to play Flight Simulator 2020 mainly.

My current specs are:

Intel Core i5=2400S @ 2.50GHz

16gb RAM

Lenovo MAHOBAY Motherboard

Any options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
MSFS is a very complex game, is currently not very optimized for various reasons (still using DX11) and thus can be difficult to run on even the best hardware. Your i5-2400S technically doesn't meet the minimum requirements listed for the game, which is a problem because this game is very heavy on the CPU.

Regardless of the GPU you upgrade to (which you obviously do need to upgrade in order to play this game) you are going to have poor performance due to being constantly CPU limited. The minimum required CPU for this game is an i5-4460, although the recommended CPU is listed a i5-8400, which is a 6 core CPU (yours is 4). I have an i7-9700k (8 cores) overclocked to 5.1 GHz and I still run into CPU limitations at places like LAX...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!
  • What is your PSU make and model?
  • What is your monitor refresh rate and resolution?
  • What kind of settings are you hoping for?
  • What is your budget and currency?
You might find any reasonable upgrade struggle a bit with MSFS2020 depending on the above.

MSFS is a very complex game, is currently not very optimized for various reasons (still using DX11) and thus can be difficult to run on even the best hardware. Your i5-2400S technically doesn't meet the minimum requirements listed for the game, which is a problem because this game is very heavy on the CPU.

Regardless of the GPU you upgrade to (which you obviously do need to upgrade in order to play this game) you are going to have poor performance due to being constantly CPU limited. The minimum required CPU for this game is an i5-4460, although the recommended CPU is listed a i5-8400, which is a 6 core CPU (yours is 4). I have an i7-9700k (8 cores) overclocked to 5.1 GHz and I still run into CPU limitations at places like LAX airport (lots of static aircraft, many complex buildings to render).

Unless you want to be incessantly plagued with performance issues while playing this game, you need to upgrade your CPU as well.

Solution