[SOLVED] Best upgrade path for a Mid-Range build?

Oct 25, 2021
Hi, I've been consistently upgrading my computer and setup for about a year now, and I'm wondering what I should upgrade next, as I can't find the right thing. Specific models would be appreciated when giving advice.

Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO BE RGB
RAM: 8x2 3200 Mhz G.Skill trident Z RGB
GPU: MSI RX 580 4GB
Case: Phanteks P360A
Fans: 5 ARGB Fans (Can't remember brand)
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze
Storage: 128 NVMe M.2, 2T Seagate Hard Drive
Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate
Keyboard: Keychron K8 with Gateron Browns
Monitor: Dell 60hz 1600x900 Resolution 22 Inches

Games I like playing: Apex Legends, Overwatch, Witcher 3, COD, FPSs in general

Solution
I guess that makes sense, is there any specific monitors and PSUs that you recommend?
The answer to both those questions are heavily reliant on whether or not you will upgrade the GPU in the future. For instance if I reccomend a good 1440p monitor and you do not get a GPU upgrade sooner rather than later you will not be getting good fps at the native resolution. Also if you are not going to upgrade a GPU in the future you do not need a higher wattage PSU. In general I can recommend these parts.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($329.00 @ Adorama)...
Just curious, why do you think the PSU over the Monitor, it seems find to me except for the trash aesthetics on the cables.
The PSU is the most important part of any computer. A PSU can take a whole system with it if it fails, its like a good insurance policy vs none at all. It also impacts the cost of running a computer. More efficient PSUs are better at converting AC to DC meaning the system wastes less energy. I chose the PSU over the Monitor because in my opinion its the most important thing for a stable, useable system in the long term.

Oct 25, 2021
The PSU is the most important part of any computer. A PSU can take a whole system with it if it fails, its like a good insurance policy vs none at all. It also impacts the cost of running a computer. More efficient PSUs are better at converting AC to DC meaning the system wastes less energy. I chose the PSU over the Monitor because in my opinion its the most important thing for a stable, useable system in the long term.

I guess that makes sense, is there any specific monitors and PSUs that you recommend?

The answer to both those questions are heavily reliant on whether or not you will upgrade the GPU in the future. For instance if I reccomend a good 1440p monitor and you do not get a GPU upgrade sooner rather than later you will not be getting good fps at the native resolution. Also if you are not going to upgrade a GPU in the future you do not need a higher wattage PSU. In general I can recommend these parts.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($329.00 @ Adorama)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 24GN650-B 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $851.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-25 13:11 EDT-0400

Solution
D

Deleted member 362816

In order from most to least important you should upgrade the;
  1. PSU (dont think any of the EVGA 600w PSUs are any good)
  2. Monitor
  3. NVMe 1tb+
  4. GPU
  5. CPU
  6. RAM

I beg to differ from personal experience on the evga 600watt units, I have installed over 100 of these in the last 3 years with 2 Rmas to date.

I beg to differ from personal experience on the evga 600watt units, I have installed over 100 of these in the last 3 years with 2 Rmas to date.
Which one? There are at least 5 different 600 watt EVGA units. What kind of machines did you put them in? Were they for gaming or just productivity? All of the 600 watt units are on older or cheaply made platforms. The 550 or 650 watt G3 on the other hand costs about the same as they do and its a very commendable unit. You can usually tell the quality that a manufacturer expects a unit to be given the length of their warranties. All of the 600 watt units I am aware of are 3 year warranties vs something like a G3 unit with 10 years. EVGA typically gives 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10 year warranties for their PSUs. It is of my opinion, like I previously stated, that he should get a better PSU. I am not even trying to say that his unit is going to have issues, I am not an oracle, I just prefer a higher minimum when it comes to PSUs.

D

Deleted member 362816

Which one? There are at least 5 different 600 watt EVGA units. What kind of machines did you put them in? Were they for gaming or just productivity? All of the 600 watt units are on older or cheaply made platforms. The 550 or 650 watt G3 on the other hand costs about the same as they do and its a very commendable unit. You can usually tell the quality that a manufacturer expects a unit to be given the length of their warranties. All of the 600 watt units I am aware of are 3 year warranties vs something like a G3 unit with 10 years. EVGA typically gives 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10 year warranties for their PSUs. It is of my opinion, like I previously stated, that he should get a better PSU. I am not even trying to say that his unit is going to have issues, I am not an oracle, I just prefer a higher minimum when it comes to PSUs.

The white label ones P/N: 100-W1-0600-K1

D

Deleted member 362816

I have used that particular one in 2 systems, 1 DOA (happens to the best) and the other working still a year later. I only put these is productivity builds though, maximum GPU for long term would be in the 150 watt category and no more. But like I said, I build with an abundance of caution with lower end PSUs.

All of the ones I built are running GTX 970,980,980ti and RTX 2060's

TRENDING THREADS