Best upgrade to system for $500 or less?

medumum

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Ok, so I want to upgrade some components to my current rig.

AMD FX-4100 @4.3ghz (stock cooling)
GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX AMD Motherboard
MSI Radeon HD 7770 Ghz (non-OC version)
Thermaltake V3 black edition mid-tower
ADATA 8gb (4gb x 2) ddr3 1333
WesternDigital Caviar Blue 500gb 5200 rpm 2.5' hard drive
coolmax 500w PSU

I have around $500 to upgrade. I don't plan on upgrading right away, I still have a month or so before I make a decision, but i want to know a bit earlier so that i'm not rushed into making a purchased without being clearly informed and knowing all my options. I don't really want to upgrade the main internals like motherboard, CPU or Graphics Card because i've already heard rumors of AMD steamroller coming out soon, Haswell isin't too far away, nvidia alrealy announced the 780, and of course AMD is bound to retalliate with their 8000 series. I was thinking of upgrading the CPU to a FX-8350, but I think i should probably wait for steamroller. The motherboard is also very cheap, but for now it works and i'd rather wait for motherboards that might be optimized for steamroller. And because there's still not much confirmed about steamroller, AMD could still decide to move on to AM4. So the main things i want to upgrade are case/cooling, PSU, hard drive, and MAYBE RAM, but right now i've heard RAM is a bit more pricey than usual. Do you guys think it's worth upgrading the main parts right now, with the newer better things right around the corner?

I know right now I don't need a better powersupply, but once i get steamroller/haswell, I will also be getting a much better motherboard that has support for atleast 2-way SLI/CrossFire, but I will be looking for 3 way support, and that cheap PSU that I got for around $16 won't cut it. I was thinking something from corsair's CX series, like the CX750, but i noticed their TX550m is around the same price at microcenter. So which one would be better? I know the TX550m is modular, but both are only 80+ bronze certified, so i'm leaning towars the CX750. I'm also open to suggestions for other brands at the $50-100 price range.

Now the next thing is case/cooling. I don't know whether to just add more fans to my current case, or upgrade to something a bit bigger like a CoolerMaster HAF XM, Corsair 400r, or NZXT Phantom 410. Alot of people say they have trouble fitting 120mm fans at the top of the Thermaltake V3, so to test it I took off the included fan at the back and put it at the top and it fit, a bit tight on space, but it fit with my mATX Motherboard. I'm worried though that if I just upgrade fans, once i get a bigger ATX motherboard the fans won't fit. I saw some on Newegg that are supposed to be slimmer than regular 120mm fans, but i'm still not so sure. Also, I really want to get a aftermarket heatsink/fan for my proccessor, something like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+/evo, but i've also been tempted to try watercooling, but in this case, I would only be able to fit in a 120mm radiator/fan at the back. Again, I am open for suggestions for both cases around the $100 price range and cooling kits that are $100 or less, water or air. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance :D:bounce:

(ps i know harddrive is not very good but that I already know i'm going to upgrade to a WD caviar black 1-2tb and a decently priced 128gb ssd.

is the SSD and HDD included in your $500 upgrade?

my suggestions: FX 6300 (the 83xx are 125w parts, won't work right in the 95w limit of your mobo) $118 @ Microcenter

MSI OC GTX 660 ($195)

Corsair CX 430 ($40)

120/128 GB SSD ($90)

hyper 212 EVO: $35

this is about $490 total

medumum

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

like i said, i'd rather not upgrade internals righrt now, and yeah the budget is $500 with SSD/HDD. I mainly want a SSD just for booting and maybe some critical files. Most games are still going to be on slower notebook HDD. But thank you for letting me know the FX-83xx chips won't work with my current motherbaord, I had forgotten about the wattage limits. I like the PSU and cooler suggestions though, thanks. Just to clarify, I don't have to spend all the $500 right now, I could just buy the PSU, SSD, and HSF/liquid cooling (still not sure on that) right now for around $200-$300, and save those other $200-$300 for the next gen CPUs/GPUs and Motherboards.