[SOLVED] Best upgrades for my current pc specs ??

123Requiem

Reputable
Nov 25, 2019
CPU : i3 2100 @ 3.10 Ghz
Ram : 4 gb (2x2gb)
HDD: 500gb
GPU : no video card, im using the intel(r) hd graphics

What are the best upgrades for my current system ? Im experiencing some delays/hang-ups/lagging when accessing programs / games . Could this be because of my HDD`s health ? last time i checked it , it says its under caution . ( Will try to check later on HD sentinel any apps u can suggest )

I mainly game on Dota 2 and some old school mmorpg like WoW etc.. I dont really need the best of the best upgrades, just the ones around the budget but good enough to get my system a good boost. I dont really demand a high fps , i prefer a playable one on a low-med settings.

If your gonna suggest for me to build a new one , I am currently building a new one for myself. This current system will be used by my parents and siblings for online classes and some light gaming.

Thanks.

Solution
I really have no idea if a $100 would be enough for the upgrades? For the gpu im thinking gtx 730 or lower . maybe at least 200gb or 120gb ssd , and a 2x4gb ram. Or should i stretch my budget a little bit ?
I really have no idea if a $100 would be enough for the upgrades? For the gpu im thinking gtx 730 or lower . maybe at least 200gb or 120gb ssd , and a 2x4gb ram. Or should i stretch my budget a little bit ?

Well the system is really old and basic so I think you don't feel the need to go with all new parts. If that is the case your budget should be enough. 8gb of DDR3 are really cheap right now. With 45$ (maybe with a discount) you can find a 250gb ssd. At this point you should probably have 40$ left which are more...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

What are the best upgrades for my current system ? Im experiencing some delays/hang-ups/lagging when accessing programs / games . Could this be because of my HDD`s health ? last time i checked it , it says its under caution . ( Will try to check later on HD sentinel any apps u can suggest )

I mainly game on Dota 2 and some old school mmorpg like WoW etc.. I dont really need the best of the best upgrades, just the ones around the budget but good enough to get my system a good boost. I dont really demand a high fps , i prefer a playable one on a low-med settings.

If your gonna suggest for me to build a new one , I am currently building a new one for myself. This current system will be used by my parents and siblings for online classes and some light gaming.

Thanks.

Hi @123Requiem

Getting off the iGPU and installing a dedicated GPU would net you (& your parents & siblings when they get it) a very nice boost in overall performance. The same for moving to 2x4GB RAM or even 2x8GB if it's within your budget.

Last but not least, installing an SSD as your primary & if the HDD is ok after you run tests, then use it for storage.

Speaking of which, what is your budget for this particular system?

Reactions: 123Requiem

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, since you're already planning a new one for yourself, I won't suggest it.

As for salvaging the old PC:
If the HDD is under caution, get rid of it anyway. If you have any important files on there, back them up.
As you continue to use the dying drive, the number of bad sectors will increase, boot times will also, and the likelihood of OS and file corruption will increase.
So, get a SSD and bump that 4GBs up to 8GBs. No need to do anymore than that.

123Requiem

Reputable
Nov 25, 2019
Hi @123Requiem

Getting off the iGPU and installing a dedicated GPU would net you (& your parents & siblings when they get it) a very nice boost in overall performance. The same for moving to 2x4GB RAM or even 2x8GB if it's within your budget.

Last but not least, installing an SSD as your primary & if the HDD is ok after you run tests, then use it for storage.

Speaking of which, what is your budget for this particular system?

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019

Well the system is really old and basic so I think you don't feel the need to go with all new parts. If that is the case your budget should be enough. 8gb of DDR3 are really cheap right now. With 45$ (maybe with a discount) you can find a 250gb ssd. At this point you should probably have 40$ left which are more than enough for a gt730. If you find the right deal you can probably get an i5 for less than 10$.
If you are in a region where the used market is not really a think you still have ebay (hoping that the shipment does not get too expensive).

That said. I want you to consider that on eBay you can also buy old systems for as little as 60-70$ with I5 2400, 8gb of ram and so on. It might find a good deal

Solution

Thanks.
If you think the i3-2100 still okay, then just upgrade the RAM, and GPU.
GT 730/1030 or R7 240/250 will match for the i3.