[SOLVED] Best USB flash drive under 100€?

Brincanareia

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this thread

What's the current best USB flash drive that has at least 256GB memory and is under 100€?

I found this one but is it good as they say?

Corsair Flash Voyager GTX 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Solution
How will you be using it?

As a backup device that you write to weekly or less often?

Or will you be using it every day for whatever reason?

The more often you use it, the more you might get annoyed if it were only an average speed drive.

If you were to write to it less often, maybe you should be more concerned about durability, price, warranty.

Ordinary USB flash drives scare me because they are held together with glue and can come apart in your hands with very little abuse.

Here is an alternative:

You could buy an enclosure roughly 1 inch wide and 5 inches long that would attach by cable to a USB port on your PC. You could then buy a very fast NVME SSD to fit inside that enclosure....whatever brand, model, and size you want. The...
Fastest : Corsair Flash Voyager GTX 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive but is based on ssd nand so will not last as long as other drives (got one myself but is 128GB, is blazing fast 400-450mb/s and is 2 years old and still working good)
Most durable would be a corsair voyager (without GTX), i got one for 7 years now and is still workign as it should.

Reactions: Brincanareia

Brincanareia

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Fastest : Corsair Flash Voyager GTX 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive but is based on ssd nand so will not last as long as other drives (got one myself but is 128GB, is blazing fast 400-450mb/s and is 2 years old and still working good)
Most durable would be a corsair voyager (without GTX), i got one for 7 years now and is still workign as it should.
Which one should I get in your opinion? I need at least 256GB and I don't want an external SSD, I'm living in Antwerpen (Belgium) and I would like one with like 5 year warranty or at least 3

Once again thank you for your time 🙂

How will you be using it?

As a backup device that you write to weekly or less often?

Or will you be using it every day for whatever reason?

The more often you use it, the more you might get annoyed if it were only an average speed drive.

If you were to write to it less often, maybe you should be more concerned about durability, price, warranty.

Ordinary USB flash drives scare me because they are held together with glue and can come apart in your hands with very little abuse.

Here is an alternative:

You could buy an enclosure roughly 1 inch wide and 5 inches long that would attach by cable to a USB port on your PC. You could then buy a very fast NVME SSD to fit inside that enclosure....whatever brand, model, and size you want. The cables with the enclosures are typically about a foot long. The whole thing functions as a high capacity and very high speed USB flash drive.

I rigged one up myself about a year ago, using a Western Digital SN550 of 500 GB capacity inside the enclosure. Works flawlessly and quite durable. Total cost about 85 dollars (25 for the enclosure and 60 for the SSD). I could replace the 500 GB drive with a 1 or 2 TB drive if necessary. Buy the size you need.

If you get an ordinary USB flash drive, I'd certainly be sure it had no moving parts, such as a slider mechanism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brincanareia
Solution

TRENDING THREADS