[SOLVED] Best used GPU for ~$75

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
Hi, I have a Dell Optiplex 390 and I am upgrading it to flip for ~250 dollars.
It has an i5-2400 and I will get a 450W PSU for it, but I am a bit lost as to which GPU to buy.

What would be the best performer for under 75 dollars? (50 dollars is best)

Under 100 dollars it really doesn't matter if you're trying to present this as a gaming machine, because they are all going to suck anyhow. If it's just for basic display, don't even bother, just use the iGPU.

Let the next person worry about a graphics card. You won't recoup your money on a system that old anyhow.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Even with the power supply and graphics card upgrades, that system isn't going to net you $250. $150. maybe. What card you can get is going to depend on the version of the unit; either Mini-Tower (assumed), the Desktop or Small Form Factor. With the Mini-Tower, you can use full height cards, but the Desktop and Small Form Factor units will only accept low-profile cards.

Either way, I don't think it's worth the effort.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If this isn't the small form factor model, I'd suggest a GTX 1650. That way you won't need to buy a power supply for it. It's higher priced than what your budget is, but if you want to sell it for $250 and call it a gaming PC without scamming someone, that's your only option.

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
Even with the power supply and graphics card upgrades, that system isn't going to net you $250. $150. maybe. What card you can get is going to depend on the version of the unit; either Mini-Tower (assumed), the Desktop or Small Form Factor. With the Mini-Tower, you can use full height cards, but the Desktop and Small Form Factor units will only accept low-profile cards.

Either way, I don't think it's worth the effort.

-Wolf sends
Definitely not worth it to spend a dime on this system. Just sell it as is for whatever amount you can get.
Under 100 dollars it really doesn't matter if you're trying to present this as a gaming machine, because they are all going to suck anyhow. If it's just for basic display, don't even bother, just use the iGPU.

Let the next person worry about a graphics card. You won't recoup your money on a system that old anyhow.
Guys, I'm not asking whether I should sell these or not, I already have done it with some 750ti cards and power supplies I had sitting around. I'm just finishing the ones I have and I was looking for a GPU to replace the 750tis I had been using because they were a bottleneck. I got these mini towers for dirt cheap ($50 apiece) and it costs me 85 dollars more to bring them up to spec with a budget machine (with name brand parts). I know that under normal circumstances it's hard making money off these, but I have most of the components sitting around already. All I'm asking for is whether or not I can get a better deal than a 55$ RX 460.