Question Best used GPU ? MSI Gaming X 1070Ti or Zotac 1660S ?

Nov 14, 2023
So I have the choice of buying either a MSI Gaming X GTX1070Ti 8GB or a Zotac 1660 Super (dual fan compact one). What do you think is the best choice?

Here's a quick rundown.

1070Ti
-> MSI card, looks great with RGB , condition is great used for gaming only.
-> Costs me ~ 157.72 USD ( local currency 21,000 NPR), pretty good deal considering its local. Used for like 2years, still has the original caps in, no visible damage.
-> Will have to buy a decent coolmaster psu ( decent in context of my country, 550w 80+ bronze MWE v2) will run me 70.22 USD. This is the best psu i can afford and is available in my country (Nepal).
-> Will also have to buy a case as my current case WILL not fit GPUs longer than 10.5 inches. Add about 40USD there.
-> No box, no warranty but can do some stress tests on the spot so it might not have much of a re-sale value in the long run. It is pulled out fresh from a MSI Prebuilt so thats assuring i guess.

Total -> 265.49 USD ( ~36k NPR ).

1660Super
-> Zotac card, nothing fancy but gets the job done. Seems to get similar fps to the 1070Ti so im not complaining.
-> Will cost me 187.76 USD ( 25,000 NPR) , could probably do a little bargaining and get a combo psu deal.
-> I can compromise on the psu a bit, by spending 37.55 USD on the PSU ( something like the Corsair VS450 series and something similar, 5000 NPR).
-> Won't need a case as it can easily fit in my current case.
-> Comes with a box and 1 year warranty from a used GPU seller ( the gpu seller seems to sell used "smuggled" gpus from India and China, RX580s also available but looks very heavily mined upon with heavy rusting visible).
-> Will ship from another city, seller can perform stress tests and send me videos.

Total -> 225.3 USD ( ~ 30K NPR).

Here's my PC Specs.
i7 3770 @ stock intel cooler.
Esonic H61FEL-U (some random motherboard, doesn't really matter)
16GB DDR3 1600mhz dual channel ram
500GB WD BLUE + 240 GB Kingston A400 SSD.
Inno3D GT710 2GB DDR3 (Replacing this one, only using this to run my dual monitor setup.)
Some random 200watt generic OEM PSU.
JDKEE M-ATX Case (idk what make and model, basically Rosewill FBM X1 but even more shorter without the drive bay.)

I also intend to use this setup ONLY for a year, after which I will sell it as a whole. What do you think will have a higher re-sale value as well as give me a really great experience playing some few older titles.

Solution
I'm not crazy about the XPG Pylon Bronzes, but I'd take it easily over any of the other horrors here. If the Cooler Master is 230V and 80+ White, it's a far worse PSU than the Bronze V2 with full range.

The cheapest actually good PSUs I see on that store are 14,000 Rs for a good ASUS and 14,999 Rs for a Cooler Master MWE V2 Gold which I assume is too much in this scenario?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newocmer!

What do you think will have a higher re-sale value as well as give me a really great experience playing some few older titles.
+
You're actually wasting all of your resources. You will need to replace the PSU with one that's reliably built and is branded, with at least 550W of power at your entire system's disposal, with a GTX1070 in there.

The most I'd do is drop in a GTX1050Ti/GTX1060/GTX1660 Super with one that hasn't been used, alongside a reliably built 450W branded PSU.

In fact if I were literally in your shoes, I'd save that $270 and allocate that to a brand new build.

Nov 14, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newocmer!

What do you think will have a higher re-sale value as well as give me a really great experience playing some few older titles.
+
You're actually wasting all of your resources. You will need to replace the PSU with one that's reliably built and is branded, with at least 550W of power at your entire system's disposal, with a GTX1070 in there.

The most I'd do is drop in a GTX1050Ti/GTX1060/GTX1660 Super with one that hasn't been used, alongside a reliably built 450W branded PSU.

In fact if I were literally in your shoes, I'd save that $270 and allocate that to a brand new build.
Under $300 , I can only do an APU build unfortunately. Doing that means going back to the performance my 2year old GT1030 gave me ( just sold it today, recovered $70 from there), so not much of an upgrade. The old i7 is still very capable and does all my work for now. I will build a much modern system later on.

True, it would be better to build a new PC, but that would mean switching to a new platform entirely and AGAIN waiting for a GPU upgrade. I would like to upgrade this PC while I can.

I will see if I can find better deals. Thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is the Cooler Master MWE V2 full-range input or 230V only? There's a significant quality difference there as they cheaped out on more than just the input range on that model.

Can pretty much eliminate the 1660 Super because "compromising" to a 450 VS ought to compromise one out of GPUs that require supplementary power. The Cooler Master MWE V2 Bronze, if it's full input, is pretty much as far as one should compromise if a GPU requiring supplementary power is in the works. I also doubt that a warranty from a used GPU smuggler is worth the oxygen the promise was spoken with.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for something like a 1050 Ti that isn't one of the factory overclocked ones that requires supplementary power.

Nov 14, 2023
Here are my local options:-

https://chandrainfosoft.com.np/prod...13-lot-6-compliant-proven-thermal-resistance/

https://cplanetnp.com/product/xigmatek-600watt-psu-nepal/

PS TECH, GOLDKIST (no im not buying these, my friend's pc exploded twice with an APU build, supposedly 750watt 80+ bronze units)

It seems like the older unit with with only 80+ white certification. I am not sure about the full range, Input voltages says 200-240 VAC and 230V seems to be written on the PSU. There is another "XigmaTek Xpower 600" available locally.

If not, I can order online from another city with overpriced but better options, maybe something like this? Tier C and i will have to wait 4days for it to arrive but i can wait a bit.
XPG PYLON 650W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (ATX Size | 12CM Fluid Dynamic Bearing FAN | 100% Japanese Capacitor | 8 Industrial-Level Protections)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm not crazy about the XPG Pylon Bronzes, but I'd take it easily over any of the other horrors here. If the Cooler Master is 230V and 80+ White, it's a far worse PSU than the Bronze V2 with full range.

The cheapest actually good PSUs I see on that store are 14,000 Rs for a good ASUS and 14,999 Rs for a Cooler Master MWE V2 Gold which I assume is too much in this scenario?

Solution
Nov 14, 2023

Thanks for letting me know, how bad exactly is the coolermaster? Like, fire hazard level or just meh waste of power and dont do overclocking level? The v2 bronze ones seemed good and I just assumed the same for this one.

So should I just go with the Pylon, provided there are no better alternatives.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for letting me know, how bad exactly is the coolermaster? Like, fire hazard level or just meh waste of power and dont do overclocking level? The v2 bronze ones seemed good and I just assumed the same for this one.

So should I just go with the Pylon, provided there are no better alternatives.

Quite bad. Certainly worse than the Pylon. The White-rated ones were *very* cheaply made. Of the major brands, Cooler Master and Thermaltake are the ones most known for *really* cheaping out on their low-end PSUs, as in cutting out features and protections that cost pennies.

I'm sorry, I wish I had better options to give you!

Reactions: FeverDev

Latest posts