[SOLVED] Best value ssd for a Sandy bridge PC?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
I'm looking for a ssd for my old pc having 2nd gen core i5 and 8 GB of RAM (max 500 GB). But i'm wondering whether i should go for more speed or more storage? Cause i do not want to spend too much for small storage and i'll have to replace my sata hard drive as there will be no more space left in my pc unless i get a caddy. So advise me something that's fast yet not so expensive. Some of the sata drives i'm looking at are: Kingston A400, UV 400, Crucial MX 500, Sandisk SSD Plus, WD Blue and Samsung 860 Evo. A speed comparison or order would be much helpful.

Solution

You'd have to be trying really hard or do something really dumb in order to break a modern SSD. Probably the reason why there's no information on failure rates is because they're pretty fail proof. Not to say that failures don't happen but compared to previous generation SSDs, your chances of getting a lemon from Samsung or Crucial in 2019 are pretty slim to nil.

I have a 500GB 860 EVO 2.5" SSD and a 500GB MX 500 2.5" SSD in my system, along with a 1TB HD.
My son's PC has a 500GB MX 500 2.5" SSD and a 1TB HD.

I pretty...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I like both the MX500 and the 860 Evo . . but the speed comparison is going to be mostly meaningless. Those two perform about the same, and have good warranties. But, regardless of anything, even the slowest SSD is much faster than any HDD.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Thanks all
I would probably go for the Crucial MX 500, although on toms hardware i see it has got a much lower endurance rating than the Samsung 860 Evo/Pro, but storage capacity is my top priority. (My pc is limited to SATA-II 3 Gbps)
Meanwhile i researched and found that PNY CS1311 is also a great option in terms of speed but discarded it for many reasons.
Also, it looks like Sandisk Ultra/3D and WD Blue are indeed the same SSD's, but a little more expensive.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Um, actually, from this page, under the Pricing, Warranty & Endurance section, it shows that the MX500 has the same warranty time period as the 860 EVO, and a higher endurance rating.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-mx500-ssd-review-nand,5390.html

The Pro models from Samsung are a different beast entirely, though.

Hmm, that SATA-II limit of 3Gbps will definitely put a damper on performance, but SSDs will still be far more satisfying than any HDD.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Thanks for the conformation
May be i was comparing it to the Samsung 860 Pro, which is much more costly.
The performance and endurance of crucial mx 500 is definitely insane for it's price and i'll definitely get one cause capacity is what matters to me the most at this moment.
It would've been great if the page had some info about their failure rates too.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 860 and particularly the MX500 are still relatively new to the market. The review was I think from shortly after the MX500 was released. There wouldn't be any failure rate information available yet.

I have a 500GB 860 EVO 2.5" SSD and a 500GB MX 500 2.5" SSD in my system, along with a 1TB HD.

We've been very happy with the devices thus far.

For a short while, the 2TB version of the MX500 2.5" SSD was available for $208, and, while I didn't need it, I still wonder if I should've jumped on that.

g-unit1111

Titan

You'd have to be trying really hard or do something really dumb in order to break a modern SSD. Probably the reason why there's no information on failure rates is because they're pretty fail proof. Not to say that failures don't happen but compared to previous generation SSDs, your chances of getting a lemon from Samsung or Crucial in 2019 are pretty slim to nil.

I pretty much only buy Samsung SSDs, with Crucial second. I just bought a 1TB 860 Evo and have been pretty pleased with it so far. I wouldn't even consider anything else currently, though one of my rigs has a WD Blue drive, and I have owned SSDs from Corsair, Intel, and Sandisk, but I am using those as external drives currently.

Solution