Question Best value upgrade to improve VR?

wheatabits

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am using my previous model PC downstairs as a dedicated VR machine. Currently it has an i5-3570 (non k), a 970, and 16GB of RAM. It starts to get sluggish on more demanding VR games.

I want to give it a small boost and am wondering if upgrading the GPU to an RTX 2060 ($350) would be good value? Or is the CPU the issue and I should just wait for a holiday sale and buy an AMD machine for like $800 (usually has a 580 and a Ryzen 5 in it).

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Bradley

wheatabits

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
I guess another option is that my system is OK as is and I just need to work to optimize it? If so I would greatly appreciate any suggestions...since this is the most cost effective solution :)

Mar 5, 2019
From my experience albeit limited I found that I had to overclock my rx580 a bit to keep up with more demanding games like Arizona Sunshine, but I would take a look at your RAM and see the speed it's running.

I have found that by increasing the capacity and speed of my RAM that my experience is far better.

What set are you using? I'm on an Oculus and the HOME feature just destroys 16GB and SteamVR is headed in that direction as well with their home feature.

Honestly though my CPU and now Vega GPU barely get touched. My Rx580 was having a bit of a struggle keeping up though.

TRENDING THREADS