[SOLVED] Best version of windows 10?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys, i'm currently running windows 10 version 1809 updated to the latest builds.

But i'm currently facing issues with this version of windows, and when i googled about this version 1809, found so many people saying that it has some bugs and microsoft didn't fix them till this moment.

Anyways, i need to ask people here about the most stable version of windows 10 that has the least amount of issues, i will use it for gaming most of the time, so i hope also people help me to determine the best stable version with the least consumption of RAM also.

Some friends advised me to try 1607 and some other said 1709, but i'm asking here for more suggestions.

HINT: i don't want to try again 1809 or the newest one 1903 as its not stable till this moment.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Actually i don't feel at all that its a RAM problem, however, i don't know what to do, i will wait for more feedback from others as @PC Tailor said before taking any decision.
To be honest, everything I'm about to say has already been stated, I'm just reinforcing it.

All of the above are 100% correct my friend. I have worked with countless numbers of computers with this kind of BSOD problem amongst many others (as all the team above have also) and memory has very commonly caused the problem you describe, the memtest and debug report simply reinforced this.

Return the whole pack if that's what the seller requests (which I appreciate is annoying) as there is undoubtedly a problem with your RAM.

Can we guarantee it will...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Actually i don't feel at all that its a RAM problem, however, i don't know what to do, i will wait for more feedback from others as @PC Tailor said before taking any decision.

You're never going to fix your PC if you ignore actual evidence of what is wrong in favor of subjective feelings about what is wrong. A test has found errors, yet you seem curiously uninterested in resolving them; good RAM doesn't simply spit out errors like that.

The errors in your RAM might not be what's causing you a specific problem right now, but eliminating potential problems when actual evidence of those problems is discovered is the process you need to use to resolve a vague PC issue. If you solved one person's problem every single day, it would take you nearly 50 years to help the 18,171 people that USAFRet has helped resolve their PC problems on TH.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Atherros drivers - the website may say they up to date but 2012 drivers aren't the newest. You can also use these: https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/ (I assume you using 64bit windows)

if you got errors ages ago in Memtest, you should have replaced ram then. As only error count you want in memtest is 0, any higher and ram needs to be replaced/removed.

i don't think i ever seen a bsod thats actually caused by ntoskrnl, it just gets the blame. ntoskrnl & ntkrnlmp are both parts of windows kernel and if they were buggy, millions of people running win 10 would be in here complaining :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
To be honest, everything I'm about to say has already been stated, I'm just reinforcing it.

All of the above are 100% correct my friend. I have worked with countless numbers of computers with this kind of BSOD problem amongst many others (as all the team above have also) and memory has very commonly caused the problem you describe, the memtest and debug report simply reinforced this.

Return the whole pack if that's what the seller requests (which I appreciate is annoying) as there is undoubtedly a problem with your RAM.

Can we guarantee it will solve your problem now, no not necessarily, but we could be pretty sure that it is, and if it isn't, the modules are a problem that have to be eliminated regardless exactly as @DSzymborski, @Colif and @USAFRet have stated. Regardless, the longer you leave it, the more other problems will arise.

Either way, we've seen your problem being caused by RAM on many occasions, so I hope you can get it returned and resolved.

Last edited:
Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just to add also - I was running some test on my debugger, and just so happened to require a dmp file, so I ran the second dmp file anyway.

You can view the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/skdj.html

The third party modules were exactly the same, which either means that one of those drivers are causing the issue (which you have already been advised on, Intel Management, Atheros, BIOS etc.). or it is hardware. I would certainly lean on the latter as the Bugcheck 1e can easily be caused by hardware or software, and the first debug points to hardware initially.

Summary of report:
BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80347012820, 0, ffffffffffffffff}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiApplyCompressedFixups+60 )

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e)
This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.

Arguments:
Arg1: ffffffffc0000005, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: fffff80347012820, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Parameter 0 of the exception
Arg4: ffffffffffffffff, Parameter 1 of the exception

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe
IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption
MODULE_NAME: nt
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x1E_c0000005_R_nt!MiApplyCompressedFixups
BUCKET_ID: 0x1E_c0000005_R_nt!MiApplyCompressedFixups

Hardware incompatibility
Confirm that any new hardware that is installed is compatible with the installed version of Windows. For example, you can get information about required hardware at Windows 10 Specifications.

Faulty device driver or system service
In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

I would advise following Colif's advice here:
Atherros drivers - the website may say they up to date but 2012 drivers aren't the newest. You can also use these: https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/ (I assume you using 64bit windows)

and then everyone's advice on replacing your RAM modules if a memtest showed errors.
Please let us know how it goes my friend.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Are you overclocking the RAM at all as that can cause them to show errors in Memtest. Note , if you have a non over clocking motherboard that doesn't mean that the RAM can't be over clocked as most non over clocking boards & processors can still overclock RAM up to the max permitted by the CPU. You can still run 2133 RAM at up to 2666 on a non-overclocking motherboard & CPU. This will almost always result in errors & instability of your computer. I personally run DDR4 2133 at 2400. If I go up to 2666 even at 1.5 volts I get instability. I can run 2400 just fine at 1.2 volts & still keep the same tight timings which are slightly tighter than listed for this RAM. CAS latency listed at 16 but motherboard defaults to 15 automatically without my input, It is stable there so no issues. Different RAM have different potential though & some may not over clock well at all. Some boards will actually overclock RAM automatically without any input from user. You could download CPU-Z & it will tell you the stock speed of the RAM then you can go to the tools button at the bottom & select clocks & it will tell you the current RAM speed. This could save you from having to return your RAM.

If the Actual RAM speed is higher than stock go to BIOS & lower it to stock & see if when you run Memtest if you still get errors.

Note when viewing memory frequencies in CPU-Z you must multiply the reading by 2 to get the real DDR 4 rate that would be listed for the RAM.

By the way I am running Windows 10 1903 currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamada.hosny93

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
If the Actual RAM speed is higher than stock go to BIOS & lower it to stock & see if when you run Memtest if you still get errors.

Note when viewing memory frequencies in CPU-Z you must multiply the reading by 2 to get the real DDR 4 rate that would be listed for the RAM.

Actually my current XMP profile is disabled, so RAM is in default speed 2133.

I downloaded and checked CPU-Z also, and found its 1064.xx, Multiplying by 2 will be the same stock speed 2133.

So there's nothing with the RAM speed, but thanks for this info.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Actually my current XMP profile is disabled, so RAM is in default speed 2133.

I downloaded and checked CPU-Z also, and found its 1064.xx, Multiplying by 2 will be the same stock speed 2133.

So there's nothing with the RAM speed, but thanks for this info.

Sorry to hear that. Were these new sticks of RAM you just bought or did they come with your computer?

Generally DDR4 2133-2666 will not have an XMP profile. XMP profile must be manually activated in the BIOS. Anything above this will have an XMP profile but for stability reasons will default to max 2666 or less then you can activate the XMP profile once you boot back into the BIOS after installing memory modules. Often the XMP profile though is unstable at least it was in the past. Try to avoid modules that have an XMP profile that requires more than 1.35 volts. There are modules that require 1.5 volts which over time can damage the memory controller.

Last edited:

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
Sorry to hear that. Were these new sticks of RAM you just bought or did they come with your computer?

First of all: Sorry for late reply to this as i was a little busy.

Yes they were new sticks of RAM, and they were part of my new gaming PC, problems started after less than 1 month from usage.

My CPU is core i5 8400 and motherboard B360 AORUS Gaming 3, all is totally new.

RAM Model: Team T-Force Delta RGB Black 16GB(2x8GB) 2666.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
First of all: Sorry for late reply to this as i was a little busy.

Yes they were new sticks of RAM, and they were part of my new gaming PC, problems started after less than 1 month from usage.

My CPU is core i5 8400 and motherboard B360 AORUS Gaming 3, all is totally new.

RAM Model: Team T-Force Delta RGB Black 16GB(2x8GB) 2666.

So it came with the computer. You may have to RMA the RAM to the maker of the PC. T Force is not quite a big name yet in RAM. The RAM I have is just Kingston DDR4 2133 & it's been working great for years. It's been through 2 motherboards & worked great on both & its cheap. On my old motherboard was stable at 2666 but this one only stable to 2400 but that's ok as not much difference performance wise. The differences are due to motherboard or BIOS not RAM aging I'm sure as the difference was immediate. Different BIOS configurations can affect stability at higher frequencies. The areas of configuration that matter for high frequency stability are often hidden from end user. I have used 2 different BIOS's on same motherboard & got radically better performance on the modified BIOS back in the Pentium 3 days when I used the same RAM moduals. All the changes were hidden from end user

TRENDING THREADS