Best Video card for a 450W

thewatman

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I am new to this computer thing and i'm starting to think i made a mistake in buying a 450W power supply for my first self made PC. i currently have every part assembled asides from the Video card because i do not have a good one (i have an older one installed now).

but onto the point. i would like to know what is the best graphics card i can get with my current setup, witch is
-8 GB dual channel Memory
-Phenom II quad core 3.2 GH's
-ASrock Extreme 3 Full ATX 6 gb a second
-450W Rosewill stallion series

Most of the newer cards on newegg say they need at least 500W but i was wondering is that just a recommendation for crossfire? and if it isn't then what is a good card i can get with my setup?

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
What types of games are you looking to play and at what resolution?

My generic answer without knowing the above would be a 7750, but more info would be great.

thewatman

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

i would like to be playing PS2 at low-med settings with constant good fps (that game is about 80% CPU run anyway) and games like bf3 and crysis at med-high my budget is around 200$. maybe 230$ at max.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If you aren't overclocking anything and your PSU is an 80+ certified one, you can get away with a better card than is the "recommended". If it's a cheaper one stay with a 7750. Otherwise you could easily run a 7770, possible even a 7850. Although I don't think I'd test the 7850 range unless you can save up some cash quickly to swap the power supply if needed.

fudoka711

Distinguished
I also think you'd be able to run an HD 7770. I would not risk trying a 7850.

Option 1 (not buying another PSU): Honestly, if you're just looking to run PS2 at low-med settings, you're going to be pleasantly surprised that you'll achieve better than that and you should be able to run Crysis easily at med-high settings (turn off/down AA though).

Option 2 (buying a PSU): However, I would also like to say that you should try to invest in an 80+ (preferably 80+ Bronze) PSU. PSU's go on sale pretty often enough. Once you do that, then I strongly suggest getting an HD 7850. You should run almost any game just fine on high settings. Going this route will cost more than $200 though.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
FIrst off, a QUALITY 450W PSU can handle a Radeon 7850 and even a 7870 using a MOLEX to 6-pin adapter (doable but not recommended). Rosewill's high end PSU's (Capstone, made by Seasonic) are actually very good but their "Stalion" series is not.

I suggest you get a better PSU ASAP. If you cannot, the highest video card I would "trust" wih your PSU would be a 7750 only because it draws it's power straight from the motherboard and not the PSU.

Don't skimp on the PSU, it's the lifeblood of your PC. Antec, PC&P, FSP, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone are all great PSU's.