Best Video editing laptop to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloneg6

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Hi All,

I am trying to recommend a laptop to my friend for high level video editing maybe even in 4k. I know the specs of what gaming laptops need but not video editing.

From his price range (1-1.5k) what i have seen as the best is the Dell XPS 15 4k with i7 7700HQ, Gtx 1050 and a 512 gb SSD.

Someone from his college recommend a macbook pro a1398 with i7 4850HQ and some lower settings but I am not sure what is actually the best to go with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

That macbook pro can't compete with the dell in terms of performance. However the xps does have some cooling issues due to the powerfull components it has inside (macbook does too) so I would recommend looking at a slightly thicker or better cooled laptop.

Spec wise the 7700hq or the i7 8750 would be the best you can get for video editing. Then coupled with a decent gpu for gpu acceleration, 16gb of ram and an ssd you'll have a great machine to work with.

There are plenty of options but what would be considered too heavy or unwieldy for you?

maloneg6

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Hi There,

Thanks that was my thinking also but just as I am new to video editing I wasn't sure if I was missing something. To put to perspective I have the Asus strix gl502vs and that's definitely a bit too big for his needs. Anything in between you can recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.