Best VPN Services Of 2015 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitaniumGG

Reputable
May 14, 2015
most popular VPN provider ? best VPN provider

To me, if you're concerned about your privacy then you have to choose a VPN provider which :

- operates outside USA or other "Five Eyes" countries
- doesn't keep logs
- accepts bitcoin as a payment method
- doesn't require personal information for creating an account.
- is open source

wysiwygbill

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I've been using AirVPN for a long time. I look forward to the promised update since I'd like to know if it's either considered a problem or in a class by itself.

M0j0jojo

Honorable
most popular VPN provider ? best VPN provider

To me, if you're concerned about your privacy then you have to choose a VPN provider which :

- operates outside USA or other "Five Eyes" countries
- doesn't keep logs
- accepts bitcoin as a payment method
- doesn't require personal information for creating an account.
- is open source

In all of those VPNs PIA is the cheapest and does all that. PIA ftw :p

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I have PIA myself and am quite happy with it. If I was to say anything bad whatsoever, it's that my ping times are a little bit higher for gaming when it's running; but that's to be expected with any VPN. At least I can disable/reenable it easily at any time. It's also pretty cool that it is one of Linux Mint's official sponsors.

Anonymous4810

Reputable
May 29, 2015
This article is not comprehensive or informative. Please be aware of your internet browsing. Stay safe.

VPN List: Do not use these providers.
(They have complied with LEA in the past or are insecure as fuck).
-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Is there particular reason not to use these VPNs??

This article is not comprehensive or informative. Please be aware of your internet browsing. Stay safe.

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

M0j0jojo

Honorable

I know for sure Hide My Ass! doesnt really hide ur "Ass", because they log everything and when push comes to shove, they will rat u out.

Jim Berry

Reputable
May 29, 2015

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

I have read recently that many of the listed VPN clients have security issues. However, I am unfamiliar with some of the listed clients.

I have been using Private Tunnel for the last several months with no issues detected.

Thanks for the informative article. And to commenters who share their experiences.

peepeee

Reputable
May 29, 2015
been using foxvpn for about 6 months now and paying via bitcoin. been really good so far. i came from hidemyass which are terrible. i highly recommend foxvpn.

g74O9y2NJA

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
I've been using AirVPN for a long time. I look forward to the promised update since I'd like to know if it's either considered a problem or in a class by itself.

g74O9y2NJA

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
AirVPN is in a class of its own

"from what i remember of Air VPN, is they don't have that many locations available."
LAZY, do your homework.

oldphart

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I've been using ProXPN for over a year, and have been fairly happy with it. After reading this article and the comments I decided to try out PIA. I like to have options. When I went to install the downloaded installer "installer_osx.dmg" on my MacBook Pro OS X refused to install it saying that the current security settings do not allow installations of files from unidentified developers. That doesn't make me too happy. Why isn't the app signed? This isn't a free service. They've got the money to cover any fee's involved in signing apps. ProXPN didn't have that sort of problem. I went to the PIA support chat and asked about it. I was informed how to bypass security and install apps from unidentified developers. I said, "Thank you." Yet, I have no interest in installing apps from people who want to sell a service as secure but don't want to be identified. I asked if there be a version of the software that identifies the developer. I was given an unambiguous reply, "No."

OK, they're free to run a service that way. Yet, right after that I said 'No' by deleting the pre-approved payments profile in my PayPal account. Yes, they got $6.95, but I knew I was taking a risk anyway. But I have a level of trust with Tomshardware, so I risked the money. At least I learned something from it.

Not all VPN services are ethical. For example, just Google this: Hola-VPN violate-user-privacy

oldphart

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

Anonymous4810:

Source? You're slamming a lot of VPN providers there. With some strong accusations. I appreciate the warning, I really do. I don't doubt that many (all?) are real scum. I would like to see who is vetting all of these companies and what/how they're testing. I would like to keep checking back with this site to see if they're updating the list.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

The other thing I did notice on that list is at least one of those VPNs is mainly meant for tunneling through China's firewall for internet access outside of China. Security isn't a concern in that case since it wasn't it's intended use. Still wouldn't recommend them though.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

PIA may not have a contract agreement worked out with Apple; since they do run a very 'closed garden' approach. I haven't had issues at all with it on my windows machine, and it is officially supported by Linux Mint. I agree that some VPN services are not ethical; PIA just isn't one of them.

Vlad Bieg

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Had been using VPN.AC for a few month now (I checked most others) and I consider VPN.AC to be overall the best VPN provider.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
I've been using ProXPN for over a year, and have been fairly happy with it. After reading this article and the comments I decided to try out PIA. I like to have options. When I went to install the downloaded installer "installer_osx.dmg" on my MacBook Pro OS X refused to install it saying that the current security settings do not allow installations of files from unidentified developers. That doesn't make me too happy. Why isn't the app signed? This isn't a free service. They've got the money to cover any fee's involved in signing apps. ProXPN didn't have that sort of problem. I went to the PIA support chat and asked about it. I was informed how to bypass security and install apps from unidentified developers. I said, "Thank you." Yet, I have no interest in installing apps from people who want to sell a service as secure but don't want to be identified. I asked if there be a version of the software that identifies the developer. I was given an unambiguous reply, "No."

OK, they're free to run a service that way. Yet, right after that I said 'No' by deleting the pre-approved payments profile in my PayPal account. Yes, they got $6.95, but I knew I was taking a risk anyway. But I have a level of trust with Tomshardware, so I risked the money. At least I learned something from it.

Not all VPN services are ethical. For example, just Google this: Hola-VPN violate-user-privacy
So download and use OpenVPN instead. You don't have to use PIA's software, it's merely an option they provide. Most of my machines use OpenVPN to connect to their servers, and it works without issue.

G

Honestly thought blackVPN would have made it on this list. You shouldn't run into LEA issues unless you really are being naughty, but blackVPN are protected by international laws since the headquarters are in China for the reason of US federal government installing traffic monitors and backdoors on VPN services. I use Torgaurd myself for gaming and messing around, but they are in america sooooo they have to comply if it really came down to it and couldn't say a thing about monitoring traffic, but they wouldn't find much on myself so I don't mind.

JacFlasche

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Well. I was stupid enough to buy a year with PIA based on this article.
Three days later after abysmal download speeds on P2P I went back to my old Ipredator account.
It costs as much for three months on ipredator as a full year on PIA but it is well worth it if download speeds is your aim.
Though they only have one apparent site in the netherlands it is an average of 15 times faster to download through their open vpn than it is to use any of the sites that PIA provides.
PIA may be ok for browsing the web or watching BBC but it is absolutely abysmal when it comes to getting the KB/s to flow in.
I used to trust Toms for hardware advice but now I am wondering about that too.
PIA sucks. I live in Silicon Valley and even if I connect to Silicon Valley the download speeds are fifteen times slower than with IPredator.
And it is no better with any of the other servers that PIA provides. What a waste of money. Try Ipredator for free and see for yourself.
I am presently downloading a film at 667.38 KB through open VPN on ipredator. ON PIA the best speed I could get at any of their sites on the same film was 23KB
a huge difference.

Considering the glowing report about PIA I smell a little payola going on here. Toms no longer trusted around here.

bastien_

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

Anonymous4810:

Source? You're slamming a lot of VPN providers there. With some strong accusations. I appreciate the warning, I really do. I don't doubt that many (all?) are real scum. I would like to see who is vetting all of these companies and what/how they're testing. I would like to keep checking back with this site to see if they're updating the list.

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

Anonymous4810:

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

Anonymous4810:

-EarthVPN
-HideMyAss
-CyberGhost
-HotSpotShield
-HideIPVpn
-TunnelBear
-SuperVPN
-VPNPop
-VPNGate
-FREEVPNAccess
-FrootVPN
-SurfEasy
-vpnreactor
-FinchVPN
-hide.me
-DreamVPN
-anonine
-IPVanish
-ThankVPN

Anonymous4810:

Here is an article on issues with HideMyAss, i agree it should be on the do not use list. Regardless of what you do with your access they obviously do not live up to their commitment.
http://falkvinge.net/2011/09/27/never-trust-a-vpn-provider-that-doesnt-accept-bitcoin/

Status
Not open for further replies.