Best VPNs for Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2018
> "...extensions also can't protect your data if you're using an open Wi-Fi network..."

I use a paid PIA account on my Chromebook so this statement worries me. If I am connecting to a site using HTTPS I don't see how my data is exposed, even thru an open network. I'm not as concerned with meta data exposed, like them knowing I'm trying to reach my bank, but isn't the actual data encrypted due to HTTPS ??

Nov 15, 2018
Using VPN extension proxy version is even better. The connection is quicker and the speed is faster. I use NordVPNs extension with chrome. Works great!

Paul Wagenseil

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

If you are connected to a website using HTTPS -- for example, Gmail -- then yes, the data is encrypted using TLS 1.2 or whichever standard your browser has negotiated with the website. You do not need a VPN of any sort for that to happen, and it works on an open Wi-Fi network -- as long as the connection is HTTPS.

A VPN connection encrypts ALL the internet traffic going to or from your machine, essentially giving the HTTPS treatment to all websites and browsers and using similar forms of data-traffic encryption to other internet connections (email, streaming, etc.).

But in most cases a VPN browser extension handles ONLY the data traffic going through the browser. If there are network connections that are not handled by the browser, then they will not be handled by the extension.

I don't know exactly how Chromebooks handle network connections, so it's possible that the browser actually does manage all the network connections. But I know that's definitely not true on other operating systems.

So, upshot: You're good using HTTPS to connect to websites on an open Wi-Fi network on your Chromebook, with or without a VPN. Your PIA VPN browser extension will protect non-HTTPS connections to websites in Chrome. But the PIA browser extension may not protect internet connections from your machine that do not go through the browser.

Let me know if that doesn't quite make sense.

Paul Wagenseil

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

VPN browser extensions are mostly just proxy clients, to be honest. They're not really VPN clients. Maybe I wasn't clear about that in the article.

One exception is ExpressVPN's Chrome extension. It's a remote control for the ExpressVPN desktop client, which has to be installed separately on the machine (Windows/Mac/Linux) for the Chrome extension to do anything. The catch is that the ExpressVPN Chrome extension won't work on a Chromebook.

Nov 15, 2018
Following are the best VPN extension for Chrome

• DotVPN.:
    At the top of our list is DotVPN. The service has a lot of positive user reviews, and good expert recommendations as well. DotVPN promises to secure your connection, and free VPN services. It offers unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited switches between locations.

TunnelBear.
    The second option that’s really popular is TunnelBear, which is a VPN that most 'ordinary' users would also be familiar with. It has great user reviews, and gets a lot of recommendations from other sources as well.

Hotspot Shield
    There were also a lot of recommendations for Hotspot Shield, which promises to unlock blocked websites while keeping you secure. It has a one-click process that makes it easy to use, is free, and truly unlimited.

Hotspot Shield VPN allows you to use various virtual locations such as the US, Canada, France, Denmark and so on, allows you to mask and hide your IP and location from websites and online trackers, and also promises not to sell your data to anyone.

It has a number of positive reviews though some people also claimed in the reviews that it was slow. However, when we tried it out Hotspot Shield VPN, we didn't face that issue.

ZenMate VPN
    ZenMate is also free and unlimited, which is always a plus, and it prevents trackers from ads, analytics, and social media that follow you around on the Web. It will also protect you on public networks, and overcome geo-blocking.

ZenMate VPN also includes a premium service that increases the speed and adds more locations, and it has a feature called Smart Locations that automatically changes the location depending on the website you're visiting, based on your preferences.

Betternet.

Betternet was highly recommended in a discussion on Reddit, though it actually has fewer reviews than many of the other extensions we tried. That said, it also has a fairly positive overall review score.

Betternet VPN extension looks nice and it doesn't require you to log in, or anything of the sort. It has a simple one-click interface, and it's free and fast.

As an added bonus, it's also unlimited. One issue some users faced was that it simply stopped working. Apparently, reinstalling the extension fixes this, but we didn't experience the problem first hand. With no ads, and a simple experience, Betternet looks like a good option.

rgd1101

Don't

don't just plagiarize, cite the source
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/features/chrome-free-vpn-extensions-1697118

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS