Best water cooled case ever?!

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
hey guys i wanna buy a watercooled case, i want the best cooling i can get...preferably with fans included in the case...i was looking at thermaltake's Tai Chi

im planning on overclocking my E6850 and im gonna need some very good cooling.

any advice for a certain case would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
:)

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Another thing is that Thermaltake water cooling setups are not very good quality. Most run into problems with galvanic corrosion fairly quickly. A good water cooling rig from DangerDen or Swiftech are more powerful and less likely to have problems with corrosion.

I hope that helps you out.

-ouch1

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Ethyl Glycol*/Water (25%/75%) takes care of galvanic corrosion. You could run a liquid rig entirely off ethyl glycol if you wished... I do.

*a.k.a. antifreeze.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Ethyl Glycvol does not get rid of galvanic corrosion. It merely slows it down. Hence the reason you need to change the coolant in your car approximately every 2 years. Even then you can have corrosion. There are corrosion inhibitors like Water wetter. But you still need to be careful, and keep an eye out for it.

The best bet get rid of galvanic corrosion is to build a loop in which all of the metal is the same (aka Copper). Hence 99% or Dangerden's stuff is high quality copper. Since if the metals all have the same properties the electric current that starts the corrosion will not be present. The reason for this is that the current is caused by electrolytes flowing accross one type of metal (aka aluminum) and then contacting another type of metal in the same loop (aka copper). This causes an electric current in the coolant and will slowly cause material from one metal to be carried over to the other (aka corrosion). Look it up on the Wikipedia and you will see what I mean.

-ouch1

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Dangerden makes cases that are designed for water cooling in mind but they don't include the hardware. Same with Swiftech. If you want to water cool a system get a case with plenty of room like the Waterbox plus or the Tt mozart since they both have plenty of room. then buy a custom kit from a place like dangerden or Petrastechshop. That way you will get the maximum cooling for your money.

And considering that the Tai Chi on Newegg is going for $429 I think that a Dd waterbox plus with a custom cooling rig should be close in price but a much better cooling system.
-ouch1

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
alright...so buying an air cooled case with water cooling in mind will actually be better than buying a water cooled case?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you can learn how to mod then you can make any case more suitable for your watercooling needs than any case you could buy...

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've modded my Coolermaster Stacker case over the last 4 years......

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'd imagine the risk of condensation might cause problems, not sure though. I'd imagine that if you had to open it up or remove any parts for any reason you run the risk of them getting condensation if it is really warm wherever you take them out. Maybe not if you don't jack up the fridge too high. I'm sure someone out there has done/tried it.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Mini Fridges can't handle the heat put out by a computer. The compressor is designed to cool something down and maintain that temp on stuff that does not generate heat. If you were to put a pc inside a minifridge the heat generated by the pc would kill hte compressor of the minifridge fairly quickly (within 2 months) and then you system would over heat and fail. If you want to go sub-ambient with you temps look at Vapochill cases. They are darn pricey but they will take you cpu down to roughly -30C.

-ouch1

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
haha i had considered all the things about the minifridge...condensation would be my biggest fear...i hadnt thought about the comressor wearing out..i only thought that it wouldnt give as good of cooling as if i had beer in it instead...

and about this vapochill...its vapour cooling?
and when u say -30C
u mean it takes -30c off everything?
or it bring everything down to -30C???
im guessing its the first one...

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
do you know where i can find the extreme kit? or even a power kit for sale?
i cant find a place to order them anywhere

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Dobby,

That is your opinoin. Don't get me wrong thought the Coolermaster is a good case. But If I was looking for a water cooling case I would go with the WaterBox Plus by Dd. It is an incredible case for water cooling.

-ouch1