[SOLVED] Best watercooler (aio?)

magnus2307

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
What would be the «best» 360mm water cooler? Aio i think it is not sure, been looking at the h150i pro and coolermaster masterliquid ML360R RGB, i dont know anything about this stuff so would love to hear what aio cooler has the best cooling ability

The CPU is a i7-9700k and i plan on mounting it on the top as the case is a h500m that comes with 2 big fans in front

Thanks for answers, would appreciate some help with this :)

Tanyac

Reputable
IMHO opinion there is no "best". There is what suits your needs and budget.

The Corsair RGB Pro range sacrificed cooling performance for the flashy effects. Corsair recently dumped their CorsairLink software for a bug-riddled iCue software, which is highly unstable.

The Kraken has the CAM software which has more bugs and telemetry than Windows 10, and then some. It will also thrash your SSD/HDD.

Most AIO coolers use ASETEK pumps. These pumps are not known for endurance. Even the 6th Gen used on the Corsair Pro RBG series appear to be no better than the 5th gen currently used on most coolers.

Regardless of what cooler you get, keep in mind that to get "optimal" performance you'll probably want to consider dumping the stock fans and replace them with better fans. If you went Thermal take you'd be in a spot of bother as they use non-standard connectors on many of their coolers.

Anything that uses RGB likely has dumbed-down fans to cope with the extra current needed to power the leds.

So, enough of the doom and gloom.. As long as you are aware of the pitfalls, most coolers perform similarly. Lots of reviews will tout different results, but the tests are rarely apples for apples. If often comes down to the fans.

The case is a minimalist design - so there's nothing really getting in the way of decent air flow.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to budget, and whether you want software control (Thermaltake, Corsair, NZXT Kraken), or whether you will be happy with BIOS controlled fan curves.

magnus2307

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

Minimalist design? Can you explain :p
Also if theyre all that bad (sounds like it atleast) do you have any recommendations for what to choose? Budget is out of the question. Im also fine with bios controls, as i dont think i will adjust it that much

Thanks

magnus2307

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
been looking around and found a few:

Thermaltake Floe Riing 360
NZXT Kraken X72
h150i

any of these sound good/bad? the tests ive read about them is kinda the same, quiet, new design etc and good cooling performance.

asetekdennis

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019
Hi Magnus, and others.

First - in the interest of full disclosure. My name is Dennis and I work at Asetek doing community outreach, to help in any way that I can.
I would like to touch on a couple of points here, and everyone is most welcome to ask any questions they might have. I will do my very best to answer :)

From the latest reply, to the oldest one I want to touch on:

been looking around and found a few:

Thermaltake Floe Riing 360
NZXT Kraken X72
h150i

any of these sound good/bad? the tests ive read about them is kinda the same, quiet, new design etc and good cooling performance.

Magnus. We, at Asetek, manufacture all three of these coolers. Personal opinion is that they're all great cooling wise. However if you like "bling" the NZXT Kraken does offer infinity mirror, which I think is kind of cool. Performance wise I believe many regard the H150i as a slight leader. Thermaltake does offer a lot of RGB, if that's your fancy ;)

IMHO opinion there is no "best". There is what suits your needs and budget.

The Corsair RGB Pro range sacrificed cooling performance for the flashy effects. Corsair recently dumped their CorsairLink software for a bug-riddled iCue software, which is highly unstable.

The Kraken has the CAM software which has more bugs and telemetry than Windows 10, and then some. It will also thrash your SSD/HDD.

Most AIO coolers use ASETEK pumps. These pumps are not known for endurance. Even the 6th Gen used on the Corsair Pro RBG series appear to be no better than the 5th gen currently used on most coolers.

Regardless of what cooler you get, keep in mind that to get "optimal" performance you'll probably want to consider dumping the stock fans and replace them with better fans. If you went Thermal take you'd be in a spot of bother as they use non-standard connectors on many of their coolers.

Anything that uses RGB likely has dumbed-down fans to cope with the extra current needed to power the leds.

So, enough of the doom and gloom.. As long as you are aware of the pitfalls, most coolers perform similarly. Lots of reviews will tout different results, but the tests are rarely apples for apples. If often comes down to the fans.

The case is a minimalist design - so there's nothing really getting in the way of decent air flow.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to budget, and whether you want software control (Thermaltake, Corsair, NZXT Kraken), or whether you will be happy with BIOS controlled fan curves.

Tanyac has some valid points here, and I will try to comment in chronological order.

I agree that there is no clear "better" option. It's down to preferences and budget. Great call!

MOST AIO coolers do indeed use Asetek pumps. In fact, we manufacture a lot of them (complete AIOs).
In fact, most coolers currently use the Gen 4.5 pump (swivel connections), Gen 5 is hardly used, due to it's unpopular tubing routing (through the top lid of the cooler). Gen 6 is indeed in the new Corsair RGB Pro series. Over the last generations we've focused very much on noise reduction. Which means that our Gen 6 pumps are virtually inaudible, even at full speeds (if mounted correctly).

As far as endurance goes. Our pumps are tested and verified for lifespans of 5 years of intense use. However, mounting the pump/block at the top point of your loop, will limit this, as potential airbubbles can get caught in the pump, reducing life. It is actually the same with custom loops, you'll always want to place the pump at as low a point in the loop, as possible. Why? Because they're lubricated by the liquid :)

Great advice, Tanyac. You've touched on a lot of very valid points :)

Not to hi-jack the thread.
Although you have 5 years on your pump, my h100i failed and corsair refused to replace it because i can't find the original receipt, although I do have the original box.
If you are the guys that make them all, how about you can exchange/replace my broken pump?

asetekdennis

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019

While we make it, Corsair is the party who retails the product. I do understand the confusion, though. It is basically the same when you buy a TV, where Samsung and LG make 90% (guestimate) of the actual panels, even though they're retailed as being Philips, Sony or another party.
Without proof of purchase, I don't see many manufacturers who'd be willing to replace a unit.

How old is it? Use case? etc.
If you bought it online, I'd suppose you have an order confirmation? :)

Magnus, if you have issues with a current product, and it's under warranty. Simply contact the point of purchase with your receipt and they'll handle the RMA case :)

So is it possible to buy replacement parts direct from you?
As for having a receipt? That's a lot of crap. With model/serial numbers, you know exactly where something has been sold. eg, you make it, it goes to corsair, they distribute it to their places, they then sell to local shops. Everything is traceable and it's just poor and lazy customer service that uses a loop hole in the law not to support customers.

asetekdennis

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019

Electro. AIOs generally aren't fixed upon breaking.
As you probably know, whenever a unit breaks it's sent to RMA, but the customer receives a new unit.

I'm certainly not trying to * you here, quite the opposite :)
As for being able to track everything to it's final destination. That is not possible for us, as once it leaves our production facility (i.e. goes to NZXT, Corsair or whomevers warehouse) it's no longer trackable for us. I hope that this makes sense :)

However, poor and lazy customer service has nothing to do with this case. I'm here, interacting, because I want to help you and others - I do hope that much is clear.

I understand and feel your frustration with your product. I would recommend you to contact me in a PM.
Should you choose do so, we can take a look into the details of your case, and see if there's a possible solution to be found after knowing the details of your case. I truly do wish to help you, but as you know - there are right and wrong ways to go about things :)

asetekdennis

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019

Haha... You're not rubbing me the wrong way, Vic 40 ;)

Allow me to quote Joseph Joubert:
"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

That said, I wouldn't want that thing near my own beautiful Lian-Li PC-o11 dynamic ;)