Best way, from 8800GTS(92) to HDTV

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hello guys

I was wondering what the best setup would be from my computer to my HDTV? Prefarable loosing as little quality as possibe, i am very naive on this ground:)

thanks

Zenthar

Distinguished
What's the distance between the computer and the TV? Like networking cables, there is a maximum distance that can be used depending on various factors such as cabling quality and surrounding "electrical noise". For less than 20 feets, any digital cabling (DVI or HDMI) will be able to carry the signal with little to no quality loss, even the cheap <10$ ones you find on the web.

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hello zenthar,

uhmm the distance is not a real problem, because the computer can be moved close to the TV. I have a golded HDMI cable, so now i only have to find the DVI to HDMI converter right?

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
i see, so would that give out sound aswell?

Would this option be pretty much the same as a real HDMI device? Assuming i where to play Bluray movies on my computer?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Unfortunately, with a DVI to HDMI conversion, there is no way to have sound, you need to carry the sound cable separately. Some new cards have HDMI built-in and it is possible to plug the sound card in them to send sound+video over the HDMI cable.

If you have 2 DVI ports, yes you can plug one in the TV and the other in the monitor. Then you can either use split-screen display (half the display on one and half on the other) or mirroring (same display on both).

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks for that zenthar, now what cable would be suitable for carrying the sound? Can you name on so i can look it up? :)

thanks

Zenthar

Distinguished
It depends on your PC and Home Theater setup. What is you sound card and/or motherboard (if you use on-board) and do you own a surround sound system with digital input?

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
^ I use an onboard sound card, its a high definition 7.1 card (its a compaq PC, so not sure about the motherboard)

No i dnt use a surround sound system.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Component video cable also only carries images (see wikipedia if you want more info). Component cables can support up to 1080p, but it is an analog signal and therefore more susceptible to cable quality and electrical noise. Moreover, not all TVs support 1080p input through component video cable AND the blue-ray standard offer a way for manufacturer to downgrade quality for non-encrypted signal (like component), so the quality could vary from 1 movie to another if they use that feature.

Zenthar

Distinguished
You use the TV's own speakers then? If so, can you tell me the model number so I can lookup what kind of sound input it has?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Ok, it wasn't easy, but I was able to find the kind of connector the TV has (I don't know all the names, I only know most by sight).

Not all is maybe you should contact LG help line or the manual to make sure I don't say anything stupid.

First, I recommend using the a digital medium for the image (DVI to HDMI cable or DVI to HDMI dongle + HDMI cable), much less quality loss due to the cabling and everything, you should be able to find something fairly cheap online. This one should be plugged in HDMI port 1 of your TV, which is marked for DVI (on the brochure I found). You should then be able to plug your soundcard's output directly into your TV (just below the VGA connector marked RGB) using a male/male mini stereo jack (2nd connector from the right on this picture).

Just look behind your TV and tell me if my instructions were clear enough.

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Oke sounds very good so far:) I thank you very much for ur efforts zenthar!

I will order the pieces and will let you know how it goes.

cheers

Zenthar

Distinguished
If you don't want to risk anything, try to go buy the necessary cables at BestBuy, Wall Mart or any large store with a reliable return policy (but much greater prices) and if it does the trick, return them and go buy your own online at a fair price.