[SOLVED] Best way to back up all personal data (no system or OS files) from a HDD before a clean wipe and install om a new rig?

Dec 4, 2019
Hello! I am current building a brand new i9 Intel Windows 10 rig, and I want to use my old HDD from my current AMD Windows 8.1 build. I will be using a small Sata SSD as a boot drive.

My question is the best way to back up my current files to my External Hard Drive, do the clean wipe and installation into the new PC, then restore the files onto now clean installed old HDD. My goal is to not have any old system files/OS files conflict with the new hardware and new OS. Is there a way to back up Personal Data only? Can I install the HDD without wiping it?

Any and all answers are a big help, thanks!

Solution
You can backup the entire drive and restore everything with the exception of Windows/...
Program Files/.... and Program Files (x86)/... back to the old HDD.

And yes you can put the HDD back without wiping it. Worst case a Window 10 Reset will do a fresh install while retaining the data, if the first install didn't have the desired effect.

Hello! I am current building a brand new i9 Intel Windows 10 rig, and I want to use my old HDD from my current AMD Windows 8.1 build. I will be using a small Sata SSD as a boot drive.

My question is the best way to back up my current files to my External Hard Drive, do the clean wipe and installation into the new PC, then restore the files onto now clean installed old HDD. My goal is to not...

USAFRet

Titan
Just have to do it manually.
You are the only one who knows where all your personal stuff is.

And when you do this, do NOT copy the entire "Library" folders. Documents/Pictures/Videos/etc.
Just the files within.
The Library carries the permissions from the current user...the files within do not.

Reactions: PlasmaGiant
You can backup the entire drive and restore everything with the exception of Windows/...
Program Files/.... and Program Files (x86)/... back to the old HDD.

And yes you can put the HDD back without wiping it. Worst case a Window 10 Reset will do a fresh install while retaining the data, if the first install didn't have the desired effect.

My question is the best way to back up my current files to my External Hard Drive, do the clean wipe and installation into the new PC, then restore the files onto now clean installed old HDD. My goal is to not have any old system files/OS files conflict with the new hardware and new OS. Is there a way to back up Personal Data only? Can I install the HDD without wiping it?

Any and all answers are a big help, thanks!

Solution