[SOLVED] Best way to Back up pc (like Mac Time Machine)

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
As the title say what's the best way to back up my pc so if I lose a file, I get a virus, I have a drive failure, ecc. I'd be able to recover my system with no problems?

Time machine is the only thing I miss from Mac Os since switching a long time ago.

Solution
I use Macrium Reflect. Every night.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016

How does it work? Can you restore single files? Can you restore your whole system from it? Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
How does it work? Can you restore single files? Can you restore your whole system from it? Thanks
Yes. Macrium has the function to mount a backup Image as a drive letter, and you can recover a single file from that.
Yes, I've done this.

Restore the whole system? Yes. My system has 7x dives. Each backed up individually. I could recover from any failed drive, or all of them.
I had to do that last year...a dead secondary SS.
960 GB SATA SSD, dead dead dead.
Put in a new drive, click click in Macrium, poof. All 605GB on it recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when it ran the nightly backup.
That could just as easily have been my main OS drive.

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
Yes. Macrium has the function to mount a backup Image as a drive letter, and you can recover a single file from that.
Yes, I've done this.

Restore the whole system? Yes. My system has 7x dives. Each backed up individually. I could recover from any failed drive, or all of them.
I had to do that last year...a dead secondary SS.
960 GB SATA SSD, dead dead dead.
Put in a new drive, click click in Macrium, poof. All 605GB on it recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when it ran the nightly backup.
That could just as easily have been my main OS drive.
Wow thanks, I'll give it a shot then

USAFRet

Titan
Wow thanks, I'll give it a shot then
This is the folder/subfolder structure on my target device:
QfSFcbI.png

(BB = the nickname for the my PC, and each physical drive gets its own subfolder)

A Full Image (Nov 2, and then a series of Incrementals.
I could recover that drive from any day listed there.

Reactions: leyo96

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
This is the folder/subfolder structure on my target device:
QfSFcbI.png

(BB = the nickname for the my PC, and each physical drive gets its own subfolder)

A Full Image (Nov 2, and then a series of Incrementals.
I could recover that drive from any day listed there.
What template do you use for your baclup plan?

USAFRet

Titan
What template do you use for your baclup plan?

Depends on the system involved and its needs.

For my main system, "Incrementals Forever". A single Full image, and a series of Incrementals.
Every once in a while, I'll start it again with a new Full Image.

For my wifes system and small drive space needed, simply a Full Image every night. Keep 2 weeks worth.

For my HTPC, a Full Image once a week. Keep 1 months worth.

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
Depends on the system involved and its needs.

For my main system, "Incrementals Forever". A single Full image, and a series of Incrementals.
Every once in a while, I'll start it again with a new Full Image.

For my wifes system and small drive space needed, simply a Full Image every night. Keep 2 weeks worth.

For my HTPC, a Full Image once a week. Keep 1 months worth.
I have my main PC with a SSD and a HDD and I'd backup my whole system (ssd and hdd) to an external hdd. Which plan should I use?

Let me just add my 2 cents worth and say that I agree with everything USAFRet said. When you use Macrium Reflect, YOU determine exactly what backup plan you want - it's entirely up to you. My main desktop has a HDD and an SSD and I make incremental backups every 4 hours. I keep monthly backups 6 months. On my two test PCs I run Insider builds and make one full system backup each time I install a new build (usually weekly). On my laptop, I make full system backups monthly. So you see the plan you use is 100% up to however you want to create it. The backup is the mostly painless ounce of prevention that saves you from the painful pound of cure as described in USAFRet's examples above.

TRENDING THREADS