Question Best way to connect a HDMI monitor to a DP output?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I've got an old motherboard with built on video with DP and VGA outputs. My 27" 1920 x 1080 monitor just has HDMI input. So I could use
1: DP to HDMI cable (seems to be the most expensive because its the least popular configuration)
2: DP to HDMI adapter and HDMI to HDMI cable.
3: DP to DVI adapter and DVI to HDMI cable (already have the DVI TO HDMI cable but its too short).

Is it ever a problem going from DP to DVI to HDMI?
Are there different types of DP to HDMI adapters? Should I be worried about compatibility? I thought I read something about this before in an article cautioning about cheap adapters yet some people seem to use them with good results. Not sure if it makes a difference if the output is coming from a video card or motherboard. I'm using an old Intel 1155 based Lenovo IS6SM motherboard with DDR3 ram and a i5 2400 CPU.

I've got an old motherboard with built on video with DP and VGA outputs. My 27" 1920 x 1080 monitor just has HDMI input. So I could use
1: DP to HDMI cable (seems to be the most expensive because its the least popular configuration)
2: DP to HDMI adapter and HDMI to HDMI cable.
3: DP to DVI adapter and DVI to HDMI cable (already have the DVI TO HDMI cable but its too short).

All 3 are equivalent, use whichever is convenient. Adapter dongles are preferred over adapter cables because you can attach a different length cable in the future if your setup changes.

Are there different types of DP to HDMI adapters?

Yes, see here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...play-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=HDMI

Should I be worried about compatibility?

No, the only difference is limited capability between different adapters.

TRENDING THREADS