[SOLVED] Best way to copy large (10TB) Hard Drive?

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hello! I'm looking to replace two full 10TB Hard Drives with quieter drives for use in my home office storage bay. What is the best way to go about doing this? I know there are many software solutions to "clone" hard drives but I am concerned that such software might overheat the drives due to the copy taking (I'm assuming) a very long time. My plan is to just format the new drive in Windows and slowly copy->paste everything to the new drive then wipe the older one when finished. (At least that way I could do the "move" in small batches and let the drives cooldown for a bit before moving more.) Is this wise or are there better ways to go about moving/copying such a large amount of data?

Thanks!

Reactions: Compused
Solution
What you've planned out seems to be a more methodical approach. Most people wouldn't think about the drive heating up during data transfers. If your enclosure has proper airflow, you could get away with copy/pasta'ing en-masse but it's a good idea to know that your data is on the drive you intended it to be on before you wipe it's former residence. I had to do the same thing when moving footage I'd downloaded from a GoPro 9, when time came to give my little brother the files, with his tiny little 64GB pen drive, I made sure to copy in batches.

Lutfij

Titan
What you've planned out seems to be a more methodical approach. Most people wouldn't think about the drive heating up during data transfers. If your enclosure has proper airflow, you could get away with copy/pasta'ing en-masse but it's a good idea to know that your data is on the drive you intended it to be on before you wipe it's former residence. I had to do the same thing when moving footage I'd downloaded from a GoPro 9, when time came to give my little brother the files, with his tiny little 64GB pen drive, I made sure to copy in batches.

Solution