best way to create a windows 10 image from laptop that's originally windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian JK

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I have a few laptops that were shipped with windows 8 (key is in the BIOS). I'm ready to upgrade to windows 10. I'd like to create an image with windows 10.

How would this all work, does windows 10 authenticate with the key in the bios still even if it was for windows 8?

Solution

No 'key' needed.
If it is a qualifying OS (fully updated Win 7 or 8.1), simply run the Update that appears in the taskbar notification, or use the MediaCreation tool and do it that way.
Either update directly from that tool, or use it to create USB media or an ISO file.

If all is good, it installs Win 10.

Geekwad

Admirable
Yes, as long as you follow the upgrade path from Win8....

NOTE: you can choose either option to 'keep your files', or 'keep nothing' (clean install). If you do the clean install route with a laptop though, expect to hunt down a driver or two after you're up and running with Win10. It does a good job of finding them most of the time, but sometimes a trip to the laptop manufacturer's driver page is necessary.

After up and running though, creating an image is the same procedure and will then work if you need to restore it (as it would restore it as already 'active'.

USAFRet

Titan

No 'key' needed.
If it is a qualifying OS (fully updated Win 7 or 8.1), simply run the Update that appears in the taskbar notification, or use the MediaCreation tool and do it that way.
Either update directly from that tool, or use it to create USB media or an ISO file.

If all is good, it installs Win 10.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.