Best way to deploy Windows 7 OEM installs to mixed batch of workstations????

nyaplustech

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hi All,

My company has about 40 PCs of various manufacturers, makes and models (Dell,HP, Lenovo). All of the workstations are currently on Windows XP SP3. We have purchased 20 OEM licenses so far so that we may use to begin upgrading the workstations (I wanted a volume license, don't ask, I just work here). My question is, what is the easiest and most efficient way to begin deploying Windows 7 (with OEM MS Office 2K7) to these workstations? MDT? WDS?

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but so far I am thinking:

Build an unattended base image with one of the OEM CDs using the OPK kit

Don't include the product key in the answer file

Deploy the image with MS Office installed via PXE boot using WDS (yes, we have A server)

Once the deployment finishes, sit at the workstation, enter any ONE of the 20 product keys, next, next, next all the way, and activate!

Does this sound like a doable plan? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Solution
you could do that or make a new slipstream image for the office with the office logo and stuff. you couold then put the iso image on the network and then boot the pc to the network from a small boot file and install windows from the office network or use 10 or more cheap usb sticks and install the iso image from using windows iso to usb tool.
look on ms site to see if the pc have to have the oem number on them or if keeping the oem number list for the 20 site numbers can be printed and kept on file. you want make sure that you keep them safe if ms looks for pc that are not reg right it can cost the company 25,000 fine for each pc.
you could do that or make a new slipstream image for the office with the office logo and stuff. you couold then put the iso image on the network and then boot the pc to the network from a small boot file and install windows from the office network or use 10 or more cheap usb sticks and install the iso image from using windows iso to usb tool.
look on ms site to see if the pc have to have the oem number on them or if keeping the oem number list for the 20 site numbers can be printed and kept on file. you want make sure that you keep them safe if ms looks for pc that are not reg right it can cost the company 25,000 fine for each pc.

Solution