[SOLVED] Best way to discretely capture web content accessed via WiFi?

Jubblywubbly

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014
I need to purchase a new Wireless Access Point anyway, and I was thinking I need to buy a decent spec one to increase the range of cover, and also I want to be able to see emails and chat room conversations recorded. I believe Netgear's circle software can do that to a certain degree, but I am not sure if it just show the pages visited and not the text communications typed. I want to be discrete at first, and not censor, but depending on what dubious content and messages I find (primarily chat rooms, social media, and email) I might start enforcing this at a later date.

What is the best way to proceed for a home setup? I had a Netgear router before that was supposedly good but lasted a year so I am a bit disillusioned with them, but functionality is the main thing. If anyone can recommend a model and a solution I'd be obliged. Does not have to be router / WAP based solution, but I don't want to installing stuff on every single item with an IP address. Hope someone can advise. Thanks

Solution
You are better off loading parental control software on the PC. Not sure what is good used to be free program called K9 but not sure since bluecoat sold their appliance business.

Software on the pc intercepts before the encryption. It also prevents loading many types of software. VPN for example that kids know to bypass anything you can put in place.

HTTPS is designed to prevent you from any form of interception. If you could do it then all the bad hackers could intercept things like people bank accounts. Technically it is possible by getting your own certificate server so you can fake https keys/authentication. Microsoft and the web browser makers though have already thought of this hack and you will get warning about...

kanewolf

Titan
I need to purchase a new Wireless Access Point anyway, and I was thinking I need to buy a decent spec one to increase the range of cover, and also I want to be able to see emails and chat room conversations recorded. I believe Netgear's circle software can do that to a certain degree, but I am not sure if it just show the pages visited and not the text communications typed. I want to be discrete at first, and not censor, but depending on what dubious content and messages I find (primarily chat rooms, social media, and email) I might start enforcing this at a later date.

What is the best way to proceed for a home setup? I had a Netgear router before that was supposedly good but lasted a year so I am a bit disillusioned with them, but functionality is the main thing. If anyone can recommend a model and a solution I'd be obliged. Does not have to be router / WAP based solution, but I don't want to installing stuff on every single item with an IP address. Hope someone can advise. Thanks
If the web traffic is encrypted (HTTPS) then you can't see it. Most traffic IS encrypted today. The circle software may require an agent to be installed on the host to allow interception.

Reactions: Jubblywubbly

Jubblywubbly

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014
I should have thought about HTTPS but I did not so thanks. What is the way around that then? I dont need to know if Facebook or chat rooms are visited, I need to know what sort of communications go down there and if there is a reason for concern. Is there another solution apart from setting up a proxy server?

kanewolf

Titan
I should have thought about HTTPS but I did not so thanks. What is the way around that then? I dont need to know if Facebook or chat rooms are visited, I need to know what sort of communications go down there and if there is a reason for concern. Is there another solution apart from setting up a proxy server?
Not that I am aware of. There is nothing "discrete". The kids will just move their sensitive traffic to the phone where you have ZERO insight.
This is a political problem rather than a technology problem. Move the PC to a common area where you have visual access. Don't buy kids smart phones.

Reactions: Alabalcho
You are better off loading parental control software on the PC. Not sure what is good used to be free program called K9 but not sure since bluecoat sold their appliance business.

Software on the pc intercepts before the encryption. It also prevents loading many types of software. VPN for example that kids know to bypass anything you can put in place.

HTTPS is designed to prevent you from any form of interception. If you could do it then all the bad hackers could intercept things like people bank accounts. Technically it is possible by getting your own certificate server so you can fake https keys/authentication. Microsoft and the web browser makers though have already thought of this hack and you will get warning about your certificate server not being valid. The way around it is to put your certificate server into the list of trusted servers on the pc. Although I have seen it discussed for corporate installs where they can lock down a pc and push this.

Reactions: Jubblywubbly
Solution