Best way to do completely clean Windows 10 upgrade currently

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I have been putting off upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 since it released but I finally am about to have to do the upgrade and I want to do it completely clean. I'm talking deleting all partitions, reformatting, and installing clean.

I heard that you can do the upgrade first, then a clean reinstall after and windows 10 will activate automatically or something.

I heard if you do it clean from the start, that you have to type in your windows 7 key and that will get you activated in windows 10.

I also said there were issues with these methods so I wanted to ask if anyone knows currently, if the clean install method with a windows 7 key works good?

My concern is that I will wipe my system clean and then the windows 7 key will not activate windows 10... I dont think I will find this out until it is too late and it would cause a major pain.

I need to do it fresh this way cause my current windows 7 setup is screwed somehow.. it seems there are some corruptions that cause things not to install correctly or at all so I just want to start fresh.

Thanks

Solution
If you want a clean install, this is easiest way

download this and create a Windows 10 install usb or dvd: Windows 10 media creation tool
Be aware a fresh install of win 10 includes deleting all your partitions on the drive C is on, as win 10 uses a different partitioning scheme to win 7. So the backups can't be on same drive as windows was.

once all your backups are done, change boot order to match which ever you made
boot pc
Follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you get to serial number screen, enter your win 7 serial here

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Clone or image your system drive to another drive for a backup recovery if something goes wrong. You should have that anyway. Performing a clean install vs an upgrade to 10 really won't gain you anything. Remove the crap before the upgrade.
W.P.

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I understand about the backup I am working on that now. As far as what you said about upgrade vs clean install not making a difference, I don't understand and kind of disagree.

To my knowledge, upgrading still incorporates stuff from windows 7 (settings, maybe registry info, other databases) into windows 10. My windows 7 is screwed up pretty bad but I dont know exactly what part of it is causing so many issues. Rather than risk any broken databases or other corrupt stuff from being brought into windows 10, I think completely reformatting is better.

I know there is an option to remove everything during the upgrade which I guess is what you meant by "remove the crap before upgrade," but unless that option involves a format I wouldn't trust it to not have issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you want a clean install, this is easiest way

download this and create a Windows 10 install usb or dvd: Windows 10 media creation tool
Be aware a fresh install of win 10 includes deleting all your partitions on the drive C is on, as win 10 uses a different partitioning scheme to win 7. So the backups can't be on same drive as windows was.

once all your backups are done, change boot order to match which ever you made
boot pc
Follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you get to serial number screen, enter your win 7 serial here

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

He is trying to avoid all the crap that comes along with a upgrade dragging win 7 drivers along for ride. Both methods should work the same.

the long way is upgrade using win 7 to 10 route and then go into
settings/update & security/recovery/reset this pc
wipe all

But clean install does both of those in same sitting. And also converts drive to GPT painlessly compared to if you forced to do it later down track.

Either way he has to convert his win 7 licence key, so if its not legit he would still have same problems.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
u dont get the crap u pick what u want i do as i load it this way & i clear off the crap i hate after 10 is loaded ,the auto update is best clean install off a flash drive is a pain depend if u feel lucky u got get keys to do a fresh where update overwrites it to ur existing just do a clean up of drives & defrag after auto update of 10 i havnt had an issue i do it both ways no issues depends on how lazy u wana be i lost count how man 8.1 pro & 10 pro i have done