Best way to get internet in a room far away from my Router.

Aug 26, 2018
So... my room/office is basically a renovated shed at the end of the garden roughly 45m away from my router, with 3 thick concrete walls in between. I currently have a powerline adapter in my room which is connected to the main router in the house and I get maybe 0.5mb/s on a good day if the internet is even working at all which isn't really ideal as I use my PC a lot for schoolwork and gaming. I am done with using the powerline as the speeds are ridiculously slow and when gaming my ping jumps up and down from 50ms to 2000ms and is just generally unplayable.

So I'm looking for some advice as to how to get a decent internet connection out there. My plan is to run some cat6 ethernet cable from the router in the house to a router out in my room.
Router - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-E900-N300-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B0081OEH1A/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1541445191&sr=8-26&keywords=internet+routers
Ethernet Cable - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-waterproof-Direct-Ethernet-Network/dp/B00EOTHDWQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541445270&sr=8-3&keywords=cat6+ethernet+50m
Is this a viable solution? If not what else would you suggest I try??

Solution
If I understand correctly, if you can run an ethernet cable directly from router to your shed, then you do not need a second router. Just plug the cable directly into your PC's ethernet port.

Ethernet cables are good for up to 100 meters. I suggest that you use a 75 meter cable just to provide some allowance for re-routing if that becomes immediately necessary or is forced upon you at a later time.

And do some research and reading about how to properly run/install the cable. All may be for naught if the selected path is not as it should be.

Ralston18

Titan
If I understand correctly, if you can run an ethernet cable directly from router to your shed, then you do not need a second router. Just plug the cable directly into your PC's ethernet port.

Ethernet cables are good for up to 100 meters. I suggest that you use a 75 meter cable just to provide some allowance for re-routing if that becomes immediately necessary or is forced upon you at a later time.

And do some research and reading about how to properly run/install the cable. All may be for naught if the selected path is not as it should be.

Solution
Aug 26, 2018

I think I need the second router as I would also like to use WiFi on my phone and my smart tv... would this one work? Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Wifi is inherently slower than wired. May be okay for the phone but I would use wired for the TV and your PC.
Just be sure to set up the second router as an access point.

Did not note per se what router you meant by "would this one work?" unless you mean the Linksys mentioned in your original post. Not sure if that is the current router or the intended second router.

However, I recommend getting the same brand name as your current router. More likely to play well together and you avoid have two manufacturer's pointing fingers at each other.

Just ensure that DHCP is disabled on the second router and that the connection from the main router is LAN to LAN. Many tutorials can be found explaining how to set up an Access Point. Do some reading first and plan out your network expansion accordingly.