Question Best way to hook up old HD's to a PC.

JUDGE DREDD2013

Distinguished
May 3, 2013
Can someone give advice on the best way to hook up some old PC Hard Drives to a PC?

I found four old HD's in a drawer and I would like to see if there is anything on them. Three have the old type of pin connector and one a SATA connector. I am running Windows Ten Pro 64.

I was thinking of a cable or something rather than a enclosure.

Thanks

jay32267

Champion
Most likely you can just power down and connect the SATA one and see what's on it.

The ones with the pins are called IDE drives.

If you don't have a computer than connects to them...you can buy IDE adapters that connect through USB I believe.

If you just want to check, what's on those drives, then use external USB adapter for connecting sata/pata drives.

If you want to actually use those drives on a desktop pc, then ...
For SATA drive - use sata data and sata power cables to connect it to a desktop pc.
For PATA drive - get PCIE PATA controller card and connect drive using pata cable and molex power plug.

Reactions: rgd1101
May 24, 2021
Those USB Adapters, do they need aditional Power from a Molex connector ? I have external DVD Drives with IDE and would like to use them occasionally.

May 24, 2021
Yes, it works ! 😁 Had to Turn on the Power Supply first and then connect the USB adapter. Then i could read DVDs and CDs. Thanks !

Last edited:

lvt

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Can someone give advice on the best way to hook up some old PC Hard Drives to a PC?

I found four old HD's in a drawer and I would like to see if there is anything on them. Three have the old type of pin connector and one a SATA connector. I am running Windows Ten Pro 64.

I was thinking of a cable or something rather than a enclosure.

Thanks
You should dump them all but the SATA.

The IDE HDD has max transfer rate of 133MB/s while the lowest SATA has 300MB/s.

If you have USB 3.0, you can buy this adapter for your SATA HDD. It comes with a 12V wall adapter for the power.

May 24, 2021
It might be a bit easier to just put the SATA Drive in a computer . E-Sata could also be used if it is a 2,5 inch drive ( the smaller kind used for Laptops and such things ).

ASK THE COMMUNITY