JUDGE DREDD2013

Distinguished
May 3, 2013
Can someone give advice on the best way to hook up some old PC Hard Drives to a PC?

I found four old HD's in a drawer and I would like to see if there is anything on them. Three have the old type of pin connector and one a SATA connector. I am running Windows Ten Pro 64.

I was thinking of a cable or something rather than a enclosure.

Thanks

Solution
If you just want to check, what's on those drives, then use external USB adapter for connecting sata/pata drives.

usb2sataide.main.jpg

If you want to actually use those drives on a desktop pc, then ...
For SATA drive - use sata data and sata power cables to connect it to a desktop pc.
For PATA drive - get PCIE PATA controller card and connect drive using pata cable and molex power plug.

jmicron-jmb363-pci-express-to-sata-ii-pata-controller-2.gif
If you just want to check, what's on those drives, then use external USB adapter for connecting sata/pata drives.

usb2sataide.main.jpg

If you want to actually use those drives on a desktop pc, then ...
For SATA drive - use sata data and sata power cables to connect it to a desktop pc.
For PATA drive - get PCIE PATA controller card and connect drive using pata cable and molex power plug.

jmicron-jmb363-pci-express-to-sata-ii-pata-controller-2.gif

Reactions: rgd1101
Solution
Can someone give advice on the best way to hook up some old PC Hard Drives to a PC?

I found four old HD's in a drawer and I would like to see if there is anything on them. Three have the old type of pin connector and one a SATA connector. I am running Windows Ten Pro 64.

I was thinking of a cable or something rather than a enclosure.

Thanks

You should dump them all but the SATA.

The IDE HDD has max transfer rate of 133MB/s while the lowest SATA has 300MB/s.

If you have USB 3.0, you can buy this adapter for your SATA HDD. It comes with a 12V wall adapter for the power.

0451ea7edb95ec424e4df3806f38036964917000_1024_1024.jpeg

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
It might be a bit easier to just put the SATA Drive in a computer . E-Sata could also be used if it is a 2,5 inch drive ( the smaller kind used for Laptops and such things ).