Question Best way to make home network

itadaki33

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Hello my friends,
I recently upgraded from 100mb internet to 2gbps internet. However in my amazing foresight I didn't preprep my house. So I can't make use of my new amazing internet. I live in ireland. I would ideally want mine and my wifes gaming pc hooked up in the best feasible way. One is upstairs the other is downstairs and the router/ONT is in a completely different room downstairs....

This is the router I am supplied with(hopefully that works)
https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/KA3WW3K597LK/gigaboxplus-quick-start-guide.pdf

I am fairly tech savvy but not at all networking savvy and no clue how I passed it.

Both PC's have a gigabit ethernet port and one has a NIC - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y82HZV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The furthest away PC has that NIC and gets merely 50mbps at the moment(on 5ghz wifi), while my phone right next to it gets 600mbps. I have a really old tp link as well thats connected to both and they max out at around 93mbps obviously.

Any suggestions or recs?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello my friends,
I recently upgraded from 100mb internet to 2gbps internet. However in my amazing foresight I didn't preprep my house. So I can't make use of my new amazing internet. I live in ireland. I would ideally want mine and my wifes gaming pc hooked up in the best feasible way. One is upstairs the other is downstairs and the router/ONT is in a completely different room downstairs....

This is the router I am supplied with(hopefully that works)
https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/KA3WW3K597LK/gigaboxplus-quick-start-guide.pdf

I am fairly tech savvy but not at all networking savvy and no clue how I passed it.

Both PC's have a gigabit ethernet port and one has a NIC - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y82HZV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The furthest away PC has that NIC and gets merely 50mbps at the moment(on 5ghz wifi), while my phone right next to it gets 600mbps. I have a really old tp link as well thats connected to both and they max out at around 93mbps obviously.

Any suggestions or recs?
The only way to take advantage of high speed internet is to pull cable. EVERY stationary device needs cable pulled. Game consoles, PCs, TVs, etc.
Then have multiple WIFI sources geographically distributed throughout the house in the areas with the highest concentration of client devices.

Unfortunately there is no substitute for pulling cat6a ethernet cable.

If it is cheaper I would drop your plan to 1gbit. In some ways all you likely need is 100mbps. Only large file downloads use a lot of bandwidth and it depend on how much you do that a month.

Unless you do a major upgrade you are not going to be use over 1gbit. You would first need a switch that has multiple ports faster than 1gbit. Finding doc that router is hard but it says it has a 10gbit port. question is does it also run 5g and 2.5g.
You also are going to have to put a 2.5g or faster nic in your pc to get speeds above 1gbit.

On wifi the 600mbps near the router is about the best you can expect. First that router is not wifi6e. Next it only support 80mhz channels so it will never get faster that you get. Even if it supported the other stuff you likely would not get more than 900mbps very close to the router.

In any case as stated above the only way you are going to get fast connection is run ethernet cables to all the remote rooms.

itadaki33

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
It was actually cheaper to get the 2gbit broadband than 1gbit due to a switching deal so I don't mind if I don't get full capacity just want close to 600/700 at furthest PC.

Not sure how best to run cables to be honest hmm. Seems like it'd be pain to go upstairs haha.

I'm open to getting routers/meshs just not sure what is god or helpful

kanewolf

Titan
It was actually cheaper to get the 2gbit broadband than 1gbit due to a switching deal so I don't mind if I don't get full capacity just want close to 600/700 at furthest PC.

Not sure how best to run cables to be honest hmm. Seems like it'd be pain to go upstairs haha.

I'm open to getting routers/meshs just not sure what is god or helpful
You should look for an installer in your area that specializes in low voltage cable installation. They have specialized tools that allow them to get cables into seemingly impossible areas.