Best way to migrate from a SSHD to a SSD & HDD Duo

JoyousCoconut

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
I'm switching from a 2TB Hybrid drive to a 500GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I see lots of programs and guides for cloning from HDD to SSD and what not, however, I'm not sure how to go about getting my data on the HDD and my OS and games on the SSD from a SSHD. What's the best way to go about this?

USAFRet

Titan

How much data is on each drive?
What data is on each drive type?
How many partitions are on the current drive?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would first just move all your documents, videos etc.. over to the new HDD as normally that will be most of your space..

THEN use acronis to move the OS and rest of the stuff to the SSD :) it will auto set things up and so on.. and works great.. used it many times to move from smaller drives to larger drives and a few from large drives to smaller ones.. you can change the partition size as well if needed when you use the program.

OR if you can just reinstall windows and all your stuff on the SSD. and I am assuming that you are in like windows 10 and such as that should recognize the new drive as a SSD and use it accordingly..

JoyousCoconut

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
How much data is on each drive?
What data is on each drive type?
How many partitions are on the current drive?
As I said in the post, current drive has all my data and OS and is 2TB with 1.81TB used. The drives I bought are brand new and are 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD. Current Hybrid has 3 partitions, if I checked it right. I think I know what I'm doing but on a much more real level I have no idea what I'm doing.

USAFRet

Titan

How much space is consumed on your current drive?
How much of your data (not applications) can you move to the new 2TB HDD?

If you can get the consumed space on your current 2TB SSHD to below 400GB (OS and applications), you can clone that whole thing to the new 500GB SSD.