Question best way to migrate one hp spectre x360 to slightly newer hp spectre x360?

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
hello! i have a client with a HP Spectre X360 13-AEO1 3DX that he would like the entire kit & kaboodle (is that still a term?) migrated onto a slightly newer HP:
• HP - Spectre x360 Convertible
• Intel Core i7 1195G7 Processor
• 1TB Intel SSD +32 GB Intel
• 16GB on board

two big questions, please.

1. the new one comes with W11 pre-installed. can i simply reformat & install W10, or is there going to be a licensing issue / hassles?
  2. the client wants everything to look/feel the same on the new device. i don't suppose i could just swap out the SDD's? i know i know, it's NEVER that easy :). any programs out there that would help with migration? Microsoft 365, etc., or after all the possible hassles of a "quick solution", i should just knuckle down and do a clean W10 install and then install each program?

thanks for the advise!

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
thanks for the words! the client will not use W11. they're very..."particular", if you know what i mean. i'll be getting the devices in my hand tonight and will report in as to exactly what the new one is. THANK YOU!!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
thanks for the words! the client will not use W11. they're very..."particular", if you know what i mean. i'll be getting the devices in my hand tonight and will report in as to exactly what the new one is. THANK YOU!!

W10 has even had updates to make it look and feel more like 11. There are also add ons that can make 11 seem a lot more like 10. There are very few deep down differences, but customer wants what they want. GL with your project.

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
You can't move applications between PCs like this.
Some few, yes. But even that is more work than just installing these same applications on the new system, and copying the user data over.

Please describe this setup.
I think he means the 32gb intel drive is an Octane drive, though using an Octane drive with an ssd is useless. It could be that he meant the 1gb drive is an hdd. We’ll just have to wait for his response I think

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I think it will break things, but....

You could attempt to either remove the drive from the older machine or purchase an extra drive and clone the old machine to it. Both are on Intel i7 so at least in that area there would be some commonality. I really don't expect that it would work flawlessly and is likely to cause activation issue(s) as mentioned above. In this case, would keep the new systems drive intact with the factory install, for now, to see whether this will even get to OS. I would expect loads of bugginess moving forward and perhaps that aspect alone could convince the customer.

USAFRet

Titan
I think it will break things, but....

You could attempt to either remove the drive from the older machine or purchase an extra drive and clone the old machine to it. Both are on Intel i7 so at least in that area there would be some commonality. I really don't expect that it would work flawlessly and is likely to cause activation issue(s) as mentioned above. In this case, would keep the new systems drive intact with the factory install, for now, to see whether this will even get to OS. I would expect loads of bugginess moving forward and perhaps that aspect alone could convince the customer.
Almost certainly, all of that will take more time than simply installing Win 10, and then installing the desired applications on the new laptop.