[SOLVED] Best way to mix ram from different brands in channels

saudor

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Let's say there's Brand A and Brand B. All are 8gb sticks each. is it better to consolidate each brand to a specific channel or mix them up.
e.g.

Scenario 1
Channel A: 8gb of brand A + 8gb of brand B
Channel B: 8gb of brand A + 8gb of brand B

OR...

Scenario 2
Channel A: 8gb brand A + 8gb Brand A
Channel B: 8gb brand B + 8gb Brand B

Thanks!

EDIT: i know this scenario is not recommended but i need to know which of these two scenarios is better than the other

Last edited:
Solution
is it better to consolidate each brand to a specific channel or mix them up.
neither.
it's never recommended to mix RAM modules from different sets.
you never know if they will be compatible or to what degree of compatibility.

many times failure to boot. other times constant crashing in the OS. other times just performance degradation from data not properly syncing across the modules.
sometimes you may not even notice any direct issue but would find through testing that your performance was less than before mixing sets.
is it better to consolidate each brand to a specific channel or mix them up.
neither.

many times failure to boot. other times constant crashing in the OS. other times just performance degradation from data not properly syncing across the modules.
sometimes you may not even notice any direct issue but would find through testing that your performance was less than before mixing sets.

Solution

saudor

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
neither.

I know it's not recommended but i'm looking to see which of those two is better than the other. On intel, RAM speeds doesnt really matter much and especially so for older systems but hitting the swap will murder performance. So in this sense, capacity >>> any degradation in speed.

I've searched this site and all similar questions on this subject is simply "dont do it" and nothing more. I guess this means no one knows.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I know it's not recommended but i'm looking to see which of those two is better than the other. On intel, RAM speeds doesnt really matter much and especially so for older systems but hitting the swap will murder performance. So in this sense, capacity >>> any degradation in speed.

I've searched this site and all similar questions on this subject is simply "dont do it" and nothing more. I guess this means no one knows.
It don't really matter it will all run the same speed it will either work or not. If it's not working you can try to raise the voltage a bit.