Best way to move data/storage between 3 computers

stoner5252

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I'll start by saying I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct category to post in. I apologize if it isn't.

I am currently using a computer I built nearly 4 years ago which operates on Windows XP Media Center Edition (32 bit). I recently purchased a used computer which is a major upgrade in hardware and runs Win7 Ultimate. I am still awaiting UPS delivery but once it arrives my intention is to move all my data and software from this computer to the new computer and then give this computer to my mother to replace her older Win XP machine. I'm trying to determine the best way to move my stuff to the new computer and then my mother's stuff to this one. These are the options I've come up with:

1) Pull my HDD from this computer and put it in the new one as secondary storage, then pull the HDD from my mother's current computer and put it in this one. Would the presence of XP on this HDD create problems with WIN7 on the new machine? Would I be able to run programs that are installed on this drive or just access files (or would I even be able to do that)? What kind of problems would putting my mother's HDD in this machine cause?

2) Use an Easy Transfer Cable (which I have) to move everything from this HDD to the new one, and then from my mother's to this one. My main concern with this is everywhere I've looked I can only find references to using these cables to move to brand new clean systems, not to used ones. The used computer will come with some software from the previous user still on it, some of which I may want to keep. Will using WET overwrite/destroy what is already on the new computer or simply add to it, which would be my preference.

3) Manually move data from one system to another using an external HDD as a medium. While I know this method will work, it is obviously slower and more tedious than the other 2 options so if either of those will give me the results I want they would certainly be preferred.

Thank you for your time and any help you can offer.

Solution
Are these, or can they be, on the same LAN?

If so, simply sharing folders is the easiest way to go. Or just an external drive.

Find one drive with the most free space. Create a couple of folders "Mom's Stuff", and "My Stuff"
Copy whatever data and files over to those folders. Documents, pictures, etc, etc.

Applications and programs need to be reinstalled anyway, so it makes no sense to try to copy those things around.

Configure each PC as needed. Copy the stuff back.

USAFRet

Titan
Are these, or can they be, on the same LAN?

If so, simply sharing folders is the easiest way to go. Or just an external drive.

Find one drive with the most free space. Create a couple of folders "Mom's Stuff", and "My Stuff"
Copy whatever data and files over to those folders. Documents, pictures, etc, etc.

Applications and programs need to be reinstalled anyway, so it makes no sense to try to copy those things around.

Configure each PC as needed. Copy the stuff back.

Solution
what you want to do is make a share network folder for all the pc. on the old pc call the share folder my personal backup.
then copy your data that you want into that shared folder. on the new pc make a folder called old pc files. from the shared folder on the network copy your old files to the backup folder. with the old pc you have to reinstall your aps.
for your mother pc you can do the same or put her drive in a usb excloser or put it into the new pc. you should then be able to move her files to the new drive and then turn her older drive into a data drive.

Lumber-jack

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I would still back up and create an image of each computer on external as you will likely forget something later on. Also, you have no idea if you will run into problems later on and should have backups to begin with.