[SOLVED] Best way to move my os etc from sata ssd to new nvme

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Hi
I currently have a 120gb Samsung sata ssd running my os and most other programs i have. I also have a 2tb HDD for storing "stuff".

I just bought a 250gb Samsung Evo nvme ssd and have managed to install it fine but now want to make this my "main" drive ie have my os/system on it.

I don't know where my windows media is although I'm aware this isn't a showstopper.

What options do I have and what is recommended here to make process as painless as possible and make my nvme drive my main one?
Thanks

Solution
Here, you use the Samsung Data Migration tool.

Disconnect ALL other drives, and...

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to...

USAFRet

Titan
Here, you use the Samsung Data Migration tool.

Disconnect ALL other drives, and...

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Thanks so much for This, somehow I didn't see this reply. I do appreciate it but in hindsight and for other reasons I'd like to go down the new windows install route but a bit unsure about steps in that process. Would you be able to help?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks so much for This, somehow I didn't see this reply. I do appreciate it but in hindsight and for other reasons I'd like to go down the new windows install route but a bit unsure about steps in that process. Would you be able to help?

Basically, this:

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Thanks I've done all that now and have windows on my new nvme. I still have 2 open questions:
  1. Do now reconnect the 2 old drives I disconnected at start of this process and if so what do I do with the one which also has an os on it ?
  2. How do I set the nvme to be top of boot priority as last time I looked in bios it didn't even show as an option in priority list?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks I've done all that now and have windows on my new nvme. I still have 2 open questions:
  1. Do now reconnect the 2 old drives I disconnected at start of this process and if so what do I do with the one which also has an os on it ?
  2. How do I set the nvme to be top of boot priority as last time I looked in bios it didn't even show as an option in priority list?
In the BIOS, is there an option for "Windows Boot Manager" ? That is the new NVMe.
Make that first.