May 26, 2020
Hi everyone, I recently built a PC with an i99900k and a 2080 ti. I ran some benchmarks and noticed that I'm not getting nearly the expected performance of my graphics card and CPU. Instinctively, I freaked out thinking that something was wrong, but after a while came to the realization that it could just be overclocking. Both my CPU and GPU, are literally MEANT to be overclocked, and most of the users who buy them do overclock them - probably why I was getting such bad performance in comparison. Additionally, all of the people who are getting better performance in games with the same specs have a higher mhz, which can only mean overclocking is the way to go.

I've been very hesitant to overclock in any way just because this is my first PC build and if I were to accidentally brick my pc I would have no way to afford to repair it or build a new one. Additionally, I'm not experienced in overclocking whatsoever, and anyone knows that messing around with the wrong things can lead to the overheating or damage of your card and CPU - or worse. Anyway, I'd like to ask if anyone knows a basic and simple way to overclock, or a guide that makes it easy.

Thank you!

Solution
That's the problem with the H150i Pro and other low noise hybrid coolers: you get less noise at the cost of cooling performance.
The fan speeds are crippled to maintain the quiet profile, but at the same time, those fans can't be made to drive air in/out any faster, and that's no good when trying to push more power through a PC.
They are the opposite of performance models, which offer better cooling performance, but can be louder, because of the higher rpm fans.

The H150i Pro is up there with some performance 240mm units in cooling performance. So using All Core Enhancement or Multi Core Enhancement is a no-go with the 9900K.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Overclocking doesn't add THAT much extra performance to the table. A few % or less.
If you are experiencing some serious performance issues, that few % you may gain OC'ing isn't going to be enough to alleviate it.

2)What you're looking for is the motherboard's All Core Enhancement, or Multi Core Enhancement(Asus coined term), feature in motherboard's bios. Use that.
Uses more Vcore than is necessary - nothing dangerous, so take it easy - but it's guaranteed stable.
You'll just have to make up for the extra voltage used by having a beefy cooler - a 360mm performance hybrid model or better. Don't use low noise models like Corsairs H150i Pro.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
May 26, 2020
1)Overclocking doesn't add THAT much extra performance to the table. A few % or less.
If you are experiencing some serious performance issues, that few % you may gain OC'ing isn't going to be enough to alleviate it.

2)What you're looking for is the motherboard's All Core Enhancement, or Multi Core Enhancement(Asus coined term), feature in motherboard's bios. Use that.
Uses more Vcore than is necessary - nothing dangerous, so take it easy - but it's guaranteed stable.
You'll just have to make up for the extra voltage used by having a beefy cooler - a 360mm performance hybrid model or better. Don't use low noise models like Corsairs H150i Pro.

Imao conveniently enough that's my exact cooler that I have with this system. Would you say that the fans set to "extreme setting" (Usually keeps everything very cool while gaming from what I've experienced) would be enough to compensate for the overclocking

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's the problem with the H150i Pro and other low noise hybrid coolers: you get less noise at the cost of cooling performance.
The fan speeds are crippled to maintain the quiet profile, but at the same time, those fans can't be made to drive air in/out any faster, and that's no good when trying to push more power through a PC.
They are the opposite of performance models, which offer better cooling performance, but can be louder, because of the higher rpm fans.

The H150i Pro is up there with some performance 240mm units in cooling performance. So using All Core Enhancement or Multi Core Enhancement is a no-go with the 9900K.

Solution
May 26, 2020
Last time I posted here, everyone was extremely helpful with all the support, so I decided to come back for more assistance. When building my PC, I paid for parts that are meant to be overclocked, and still have yet to overclock them. I've been really nervous when it comes to overclocking because, being honest, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I know of ways to overclock, but have no idea if my system specs would support it, and just don't want to take the risk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these specs would get in the way of overclocking my Ram, CPU, and GPU, along with safe methods that won't do any harm.

System specs

ROG STRIX 2080ti 11 G OC edition

Intel core i9-9900k unlocked

G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x16GB Trident Z royal ram

Corsair h150i pro rgb cooler (bc we all know that rgb matters more than performance)

EVGA Supernova Gold 1000w PSU

Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot and something is really obvious here, I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking. Thank you in advance!!

Last time I posted here, everyone was extremely helpful with all the support, so I decided to come back for more assistance. When building my PC, I paid for parts that are meant to be overclocked, and still have yet to overclock them. I've been really nervous when it comes to overclocking because, being honest, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I know of ways to overclock, but have no idea if my system specs would support it, and just don't want to take the risk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these specs would get in the way of overclocking my Ram, CPU, and GPU, along with safe methods that won't do any harm.

System specs

ROG STRIX 2080ti 11 G OC edition

Intel core i9-9900k unlocked

G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x16GB Trident Z royal ram

Corsair h150i pro rgb cooler (bc we all know that rgb matters more than performance)

EVGA Supernova Gold 1000w PSU

Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot and something is really obvious here, I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking. Thank you in advance!!

The Corsair H150i is restricted to Mag Lev fans at1600RPM to keep the unit nice and quiet under load.
There are 120mm Mag Lev fans that will spin up to 2400rpm and would make a difference thermal wise.
What you sacrifice ofc is the quiet aspect cause all fans that can spin up to 2400rpm are noisy.
You can adjust your fan curve in Bios to suit your preference.

You should be able to achieve a decent 5GHz Overclock with a decent chip (Silicon Lottery)
When your ready to OC that little beast, Just ask.