Question Best way to power fans in an empty case?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I'm building a sound-testing box with a ThermalTake Core V1 case in it in which I will test the noise production of both DC and PWM fans from 80-200mm. The case isn't going to have anything else in it. I don't have a spare PSU or another way to power the fan(s).

Not that they'll help, but I have the Akasa FC.Trio Fan Controller, and the Bitspower X-Station Power-Extension II Male Version (BP-XSP2M-UV). They both run on DC. The latter has ten Molex power ports, 12 DC fan headers and 2 5vGND12v 4-pin headers. I don't know how to actually use it. I could connect the Akasa to my current computer but it doesn't provide enough variability in power to allow low RPMs, so I wouldn't be able to record minimum dbA.

So, what would be the best choice that would allow for the lowest RPMs (including fans that can stop) and protect fans from damage, while providing me direct control over fan speed? I see that there are several stand-alone options, but I am not sure which would be best. If it will be inside the test box or case, it needs to be silent.

If you have any questions relevant to my question, please ask away.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
you could just get normal 12v DC adapter, hookit up to external fan controller and that would be it
What about my 5v fans? Which external fan controller would actually provide the controls that I need, since the Akasa FC.Trio doesn't allow for low enough RPMs?