best way to put fans for cpu cooling

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
hello,

so i finaly ordered my build it should be here by monday and i have most of the things figured out (newbie builder here) but i dont know the best way to put fans on cpu cooler, i checked tons of youtube videos and most of them are for rads for liquid cooling so i didnt find the answer i am looking for.

now i have corsair 750d airflow edition case so i have 2x intake fans in front and 1x output fan on the back, im wondering if the way i imagine (on the picture) is the best way to put fans or is there other better way?

https://imgur.com/a/URsTP

ty in advance
picture is not mine i took it from this forum because it describes my interior nicely i just added airflow arrows

Solution
Yes that is the typically correct way. You want the fans all going in the same direction, like in the picture you linked to.

There are situations where a non-standard flow might be worthwhile. For instance, my rear fan is used as an intake. My goal there is to get fresh air into a top mounted radiator. And I have another radiator in the front as intake. I tested both and this worked better for temperatures.

I believe this also creates a positive pressure situation, which should prevent dust build up in small openings in the case. I want the dust concentrated on the filtered intakes. If you have too much exhaust then the air has to flow in from somewhere, usually where a fan is not. The linked picture is more a neutral pressure build...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes that is the typically correct way. You want the fans all going in the same direction, like in the picture you linked to.

There are situations where a non-standard flow might be worthwhile. For instance, my rear fan is used as an intake. My goal there is to get fresh air into a top mounted radiator. And I have another radiator in the front as intake. I tested both and this worked better for temperatures.

I believe this also creates a positive pressure situation, which should prevent dust build up in small openings in the case. I want the dust concentrated on the filtered intakes. If you have too much exhaust then the air has to flow in from somewhere, usually where a fan is not. The linked picture is more a neutral pressure build. In and out at roughly the same amount, I might recommend another fan at the front for intake, but not necessarily.

More rarely, and usually in very small form factor cases, a complete reverse flow is desirable. Rear intake and front exhaust. Or in cramped circumstances where you don't want to recycle already warm air this is also useful.

Solution

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017

tyvm