Best way to set up 64gb SSD and 1tb HDD? Z68 Motherboard

eejdoowad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Ok, so I just built my first computer. Now it's time to play with the software.

I have a 64gb samsung 830 series SSD, a 1 tb 7200rpm Samsung HDD and a Z68 motherboard with Intel SRT.
What's the best way to set these up?

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
64GB is really too small to be used as a OS disk. I'd say you should set up your SSD as a system cache through Intel's RST software. If I recall correctly it defaults to 19 or 20 GB of system cache which should be plenty of space, you can then utilize the rest of the drive for whatever programs you use the most so they benefit from the full SSD speed boost at all times.

Also, using the disk as a system cache will still speed up your boot times into Windows. Mine went from aproxmately 30s to 20s after installing a SSD cache.

I would suggest not using SRT so you have direct control of what uses the ssd. 64GB is enough for a bootdrive plus a couple programs/games/apps. A clean w7 install takes ~21gb. With updates, installing 20 or so games/software plus multiple restore points will be about 30gb, leaving you with 20gb for whatever you want. I would suggest not going more than ~54gb or so as when it's full it will go slower, same as a hdd.

Don't use it if u have SSD, it doesn't make much sense.

I still have old Vertex2 50GB and it is almost full and no slowdown is happening.

If u need more space, make page file smaller to 3-4GB, move Doc folder to storage drive and turn off sys restore but have a back up.

I hope u don't hibernate on SSD, it would take another chunk of free space.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
64 GB as OS Boot drive, set Paging file to the HDD, disable Prefetch / Superfetch, disable defrag, disable hibernate, disable sistem restore, set backup to the HDD, set your browsers to save downloads on the HDD and you are set . Clean install of W7 x 64 ultimate takes 15 GB (i did it 3 days ago). and you will still have plenty space for extra programes

niknovacain

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Without unplugging the HDD how would you make sure the OS is installed on the ssd? Is it pretty easy or is there some specific way to check or make sure the installation is happening on the ssd? Thanks.

niknovacain

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I will just unplug my hdd most likely to ensure windows is installed on the ssd. As long as no problems arise upon plugging in the hdd after windows install - which there shouldn't be. People seem to report success with this method.