Best way to Setup ADSL2+/Router + Router

seraphine

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
hello everyone.. i have this ADSL2+/Router given to me for free from my ISP.. now i have already an existing WiFi router.. i wanted to utilize my router and instead of using the ADSL2+ Wifi Modem/Router.. as my main router.. i wanted to use this modem for just the internet connection and all else is on my own router..

Thanks a bunch

Solution
1. Yes
2. NAT is only occurring in a router, not a PC or any end device.
3. Bridging is a way of an ADSL modem/router to only to advertise your public IP address It means that the modem/router will lose its routing and switching functions. By then, your own router will take over those functions.
4. I can assume its the Internet led. But still if you can see a public address then you have a Internet connection from your ISP.

No worries. always please choose the best solution.

seraphine

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

so in short bridging my ADSL modem/router to my router?... yep already done that but im afraid there might be some complications?... i really don't know but if anyone of you do. please do share :D

sweenytodd

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
There will be no complications. If you bridge the modem, it will advertise your public IP address. Connect the UTP cable to the WAN port of your router then set it up. Your router will do the NAT(Network Address Translation) for you because private addresses (eg. 10.X.X.X, 172.16.X.X - 172.32.X.X, 192.168.X.X) cannot communicate on the Internet unless they are translated. Same thing is happening to your ADSLmodem/router but many functions are disabled by your ISP. That's why we buy our own routers.

seraphine

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Hmmm correct me if im wrong.. trying to understand the whole point of bridging.. i think what u said jumbled what i know hehehe thats ok better to clear things up... hmmm..

1st.. when u say public IP address.. the IP that was given to me by me ISP right?
2nd.. therefore.. when i try to access the internet through my modem again.. there will be no more connection since it is broadcasting the public IP and my PC cannot translate, as u said regarding NAT??..
3rd.. can you enlighten me more on bridging.. i think i really don't know anything more about bridging besides setting up my modem to be in bridge mode.. :D
4th.. last time when i put the modem on bridge mode.. one of the LEDs on the modem doesn't light up.. its the INT part.. don't know if most modem/routers have this but mine do.. anyway if you have any idea what does this INT thing do.. is this OK if this doesn't light up?..

Hoping for your enlightenment :)

sweenytodd

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
1. Yes
2. NAT is only occurring in a router, not a PC or any end device.
3. Bridging is a way of an ADSL modem/router to only to advertise your public IP address It means that the modem/router will lose its routing and switching functions. By then, your own router will take over those functions.
4. I can assume its the Internet led. But still if you can see a public address then you have a Internet connection from your ISP.

No worries. always please choose the best solution.

Solution

seraphine

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Yes yes kinda got your idea.. just one more thing.. when you say advertise your public IP, it can only advertise to a device(routers/switches and stuff) connected to it right?.. hmm cuz the ADSL modem/router that i have has a WiFi capability.. though i already disabled the WiFi connection on the ADSL modem and transferred it to my own router.. lets just say for example that i didn't turn it off.. can it advertise my public IP via wifi?...

As for the solution.. i've been reading some threads for best connection setup.. some said PPOE and PPOA.. but i think both needs username and pasword given by an ISP.. but ISP only provided me with a ADSL modem/router and a dynamic IP address (i think its dynamic.. in my country at least... i can apply for a static ip but there is an addded fee).. I think the best way for me is only the bridging thing.. since other solutions requires some things from my ISP that i don't have...

watcha think?