Question Best way to stability test non AVX overclocks?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I trying to figure out how high I can overclock may 8700k for non-AVX workloads. Can someone recommend a cpu stability stress test that will not use AVX instructions but stress the system sufficiency in order to figure out stability? I usually using Real Bench but this is constantly using AVX.

Thanks

Newest version of Prime95. Just disable AVX.

NOTE: DX12 has the AVX instruction set as part of its API. More and more games are starting to take advantage of the AVX instruction set. IMHO, it's better to just go as high as your CPU can go with the AVX offset at 0. Otherwise, you could end up chasing ghosts when the programs you run or games you play start using AVX.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Newest version of Prime95. Just disable AVX.

NOTE: DX12 has the AVX instruction set as part of its API. More and more games are starting to take advantage of the AVX instruction set. IMHO, it's better to just go as high as your CPU can go with the AVX offset at 0. Otherwise, you could end up chasing ghosts when the programs you run or games you play start using AVX.

I noticed that when I am using an AVX offset, when I play games with DX11 the offset is most of the time applied. For example Kingdom Come Deliverance, which is DX11, is 70% of the time AVX offset applied. Why is that?

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
When using occt I'd start with large data set 12hr run if it passes and temps are good then do the same with medium data set. If both pass and your temps are good you're good to go if you're just gaming on the system. If you're doing stuff that is really going to hammer the cpu hard then you'll want to do the small dataset, but keep in mind this will generate heat on par to prime95 running avx.

Source?

DirectX is an API for sending instructions to the GPU, AVX is an instruction set for the CPU, don't see what one would have to do with the other.

Hmmm, looks like I'm confusing some terminologies.
Could have sworn I read something about AVX256 and DX12 but your explanation makes perfect sense as to why they aren't/shouldn't be related. Thanks @TJ Hooker!
(I'll still stand by the rest of my statement ;))

Reactions: TJ Hooker