[SOLVED] Best way to store passwords in txt files ?

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
Hello. I'm trying to find a fast and easy way to secure my passwords. It's been about a year since I've been storing my passwords in txt files and saved it on my desktop. I do have those files backed up on my external drive. Also the passwords are not extremely important. Things like steam and uplay and 3 of my Google accounts.

The thing is, I was thinking about storing all these txt files on a normal USB stick and encrypt it for maximum security and remove them from my computer. But that method would be too time consuming for me. I'm used to quickly copying the password from my desktop. What would you recommend me to do? Any other methods?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
leave them on back up drive and remove from desktop also print them so you wil be able to lok at it when needed or is system goes down .

Ralston18

Titan
I use (as suggested by @boju ) a printed list for non-sensitive accounts.

However, I also use a One Note page or Sticky Notes maintained on my desktop (usually minimized) so I can copy and paste in passwords and other (non-financial) account information. E.g., a long library card number. Or some membership number.

Sensitive accounts, user names, and passwords are stored on individual cover pages in plastic sheet protectors in the applicable physical file drawer and folder. Never on the computer: encrypted or otherwise.

Keep in mind that if your computer, network, ISP service are down then you may need to go elsewhere to conduct business.

Hard copy passwords will be needed.

Reactions: aden.anderson2001
Buy a rolodex file or a notebook with letter tabs.
Write down the relevant info in pencil.
Web page, user name, authentication q&a, password.

Another option is to use a password manager app.

Put nothing of truly critical import on the pc. All could be hacked.
Financial account names/passwords, for example.

Reactions: aden.anderson2001
I've been using password safe for years. Got to be better than just a text file. Plus it will auto-generate strong passwords.

The 7-zip program can be located on any drive, you can install it (like any regular program(), or you can install the Portableapps platform and from there, you can add 7-zip.

If you go Portableapps platform, then I also suggest you try the Password Gorilla app (to store passwords). That app is also available on Linux if you need to switch OS for any reason.

Reactions: cpeterm